Dual Rectifier CH. 2 and CH. 3 totally different?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bag

Reaction score
I'm finally getting to know my Mesa pretty well and I noticed that the two overdrive channels have very different sounds... both are high gain channels but, ch. 3 seems to be a bit bright, and ch. 2 seems a bit muddy... even with the same settings... is this a problem or is this normal??

Look at page 4 of the manual explains what the difference between the two channels. The presence is what is different between the two channels.

in the original dual rectos orange was voiced for vintage and red for modern.

scottm said:

Pretty much nothing like that.

People often use way too much presence on the red channel and then wonder why it sounds fizzy :lol: The presence control on the red channel of a 3channel Recto is very, very aggressive. I usually have mine at about 8-9 o'clock.

The orange channel is darker due to it's different presence control, which is a lot less aggressive. You can use quite a lot of presence on the orange channel without having too much fizz.

The two channel Recto is very different when compared to the 3channel ones. If you try using 2chan Recto settings on a 3channel head, it will most likely sound bad.

That's why the 2chan vs. 3chan Recto comparisons are usually totally worthless, because people use the same settings on both thinking they will sound the same. You need to tweak them differently.

The red channel/modern mode on the older two channel heads is more like the orange channel/modern mode on the 3channel heads.

I personally love my 3channel Recto. You just need to know how to tweak it.

I believe that the presence control on channel 3 begins tonally where channel 2 finishes.. So turning channel 2's presence dial all the way up will give you a similar presence sound as channel 3's dial being turned all the way down..

Im sure there is a better way to explain it haha :lol:

Yep presence pot taper is the diff.

Channel 2 presence maxed is about like having Ch 3 presence at around
10 oclock. So there is some "overlap". I like Ch 2 for leads and Ch 3 with the presence bumped up a bit for tight/crunchy rhythms.

Like previously said, best advice is download the Mesa Manual. Well written
and loaded with great info.

TomiR said:
scottm said:

Whatever you hear is whatever you hear but the manual of the original 2ch refers to its channels as Vintage/Orange and Modern/Red. Thus why channel cloning was included to change the mode of either channel. The 3ch recto is based upon this and expanded to be more versatile.

Also in the manual of the 3ch it says "Channel 2 is optimized for the original Recto VINTAGE mode with a milder Presence range" and "Channel 3 is optimized for the legendary MODERN mode with Presence far exceeding that of Channel 2."

According to the maunal ch2 modern uses less negative feedback, so it'd be less tight then ch3 Modern mode.

If 3 is too brite are you running it in "Modern"? personally, i like the vinage modes alot. they seem muddy at first but if you lower the bass and crank the treble they come alive more. the modern modes just sound harsh to my ears, and vintage warmer.

what style do you play?

I noticed that as well, but the Modern comes in handy when using a crappy rental cab or dark sounding stage.

scottm said:
TomiR said:
scottm said:

Whatever you hear is whatever you hear but the manual of the original 2ch refers to its channels as Vintage/Orange and Modern/Red. Thus why channel cloning was included to change the mode of either channel. The 3ch recto is based upon this and expanded to be more versatile."

Whoops, my bad... I misunderstood the question.:oops: Thanks for the correction

no prob ;) its interesting to know too that the vintage channel/modern channel idea that started in the dual way back in '91 lives on in the RK II's channels 3 & 4!!

Back