Dual rectifier and stiletto with orange 2x12 cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diamondschwin

Reaction score
I am pretty sure i am getting an orange 2 x 12... as of right now i have two heads... and one 4x12 cabinet which is a custom made slant cab. anyway i need a second cab for my stiletto for rehearsals (other guitarist in band can use my amp and leave his at home) and also smaller gigs or larger gigs combining it with the 4 x 12 and for recording... etc.... anyway so i wanted something really cool... ive never really been big on the mesa boogie cabinets... i like the 80s ones with the wire grill and the black shadows... but they dont make a 2 x 12 of that and i cant justify another 4 x 12... anyway so i want the orange... its better then pretty much any other 2 x 12 i tried, i was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with this.. im pretty much decided i just want to know if anyone had complaints or tips

The Stiletto and Orange cab should be a good mix. Both are voiced for the same type of Brit crunch.

i just found out that standard orange cabs are wired 16 ohms.... which sucks cuz my stiletto is 8ohms or 4ohms only... and while i could run it in 50 watt mode which should technically put the 8 ohm output to 16 ohms i want the headroom....

but i may be saved... a store near me has an orange 2 by 12 brand new,.. wired for 8ohm
they order them like that because 16 ohms is not that popular

now if i can get my tax return soon beacuse this place sells amps like hotcakes... :evil:

diamondschwin said:
i just found out that standard orange cabs are wired 16 ohms.... which sucks cuz my stiletto is 8ohms or 4ohms only... and while i could run it in 50 watt mode which should technically put the 8 ohm output to 16 ohms i want the headroom....

but i may be saved... a store near me has an orange 2 by 12 brand new,.. wired for 8ohm

now if i can get my tax return soon beacuse this place sells amps like hotcakes... :evil:

The half power would put the impedance from 8 to 4 rather than 8 to 16.

nocluejimbo said:
diamondschwin said:

The half power would put the impedance from 8 to 4 rather than 8 to 16.

according to messa boogie halving the power doubles impedance... this is something that was discussed here almost a year ago, im sure you can search for that thread... the info is available in the manuals for all their amps that can have tubes pulled and half power switched

My Stiletto manual doesn't say anything about the impedance changing
when in the 50 watt versus 100 watt mode. First I've ever heard of this.

I've also been using 16 ohm cabs (sometimes 1 sometimes 2) in the 8
ohm output. I actually called Mesa up and asked them about the
impedence because I prefer the tone of one 16 ohm cab and one 8
ohm cab being used together, best tone that I've heard yet out of a
Stiletto. Anyways, they said yea, it don't matter and they agreed that
it does seem to enhance certain tones.

Well the Road King II manual also says that impedance doesn't really matter. Hence the 8-16 ohm label on the single cab output.

I called MESA about a month ago and spoke to a rep on the phone about this...Basically I asked him what impedance should I put when removing the power/rec tubes from my dual rectifier when I run it at 50 watts.

He said to halve the amp from 8ohm to 4ohm, but still have to plug the other end of the speaker cable into the 8ohms jack on the actual cabinet, since the speakers themselves are wired for 8ohm.

Elpelotero said:
I called MESA about a month ago and spoke to a rep on the phone about this...Basically I asked him what impedance should I put when removing the power/rec tubes from my dual rectifier when I run it at 50 watts.

He said to halve the amp from 8ohm to 4ohm, but still have to plug the other end of the speaker cable into the 8ohms jack on the actual cabinet, since the speakers themselves are wired for 8ohm.

exactly

thats what my dual rec manual says.. and mesa boogie support says, but in the stilleto manual somewhere it says they "suggest" experimenting with different outputs when using half power, i mean you can always safely run 4 ohms into 8ohms or 8 to 16 etc. so i guess thats why they say experiment

Latest posts

Back