Dual Rectifier and JCM 2000 Comparison

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackieTHEjokeman

Reaction score
I spent my lunch hour today at my guitar shop. I was comparing the DR with the JCM TSL. I had both heads side by side plugged into the same 4x12 cab (CV30s) when I was using them. I used a stock Ibanez guitar at the shop. I personally found that "with some imagination", if I had some EL34's in the DR it can sound extremely close to the JCM. I set the knobs to be at the same setting for each channel. I mostly used MODERN on the DR and LEAD on the JCM. They both have some very similar characteristics with each other. It could be my imagination, but I really think if I was to put some EL's in the DR, you can get a Marshall-esque sound. Does anybody feel the same way? I'm "gas-ing" even more now for a DR.

Nope, gotta disagree with ya on that one. The DR still sounds like a DR when utilizing EL34's, it only shifts or enhances different frequencies than those from a set of 6L6's.

without alot of time spent, the two can seem to have similar tone with el34s, to an extent, an amps an amp. feel however is totaly different. and before long you would here the marshall seeming to be kinda flat, almost solidstate like, while the mesa has this adictive tanky, chewy, voice that seems very scooped but balanced at the same time, then when that honeymoon is over, youll start to find a problem with the swarm of bees syndrome of recs, then the loose bottem end, then before you know it, you've made alot of company's alot of money. but at the end of the day youll still love it, cause you hear that tone in there somewhere, and your gonna find a way to get it out, rather than taking it back or putting it on ebay cause your pod sounds more full of life than you marshall :wink:

One of the guys in my band had a JCM2000 TSL and I has to use it one night and I had about 2 hours before hand to dial in some sounds and I never found a single sound I was happy with or that even felt like my boogie.

After the 2nd set, I went out and got my Vox Tonelab SE and used that the rest of the night direct to the board, and liked it much better.

jbird said:
Nope, gotta disagree with ya on that one. The DR still sounds like a DR when utilizing EL34's, it only shifts or enhances different frequencies than those from a set of 6L6's.

+1

not trying to flame here,
BUT

If you think ANY mesa sounds like a Marshall (save a Stiletto) just because you tossed some EL34s in it,

YOU ARE OUT TO LUNCH, and clearly know nothing about an incredibly important part of your amp called "THE PRE-AMP"

The pre-amp is where Boogies get the vast majority of their mojo from, so you can change powertubes to whatever the hell you want, its not going to change the fact that your amp sounds like a Boogie.

Also, why the hell would you want your Boogie to sound like a Marshall?
If you want a Marshall sound, BUY A MARSHALL!

You might as well try to turn your screw driver into a hamer, they are COMPLETELY different beasts.

Personaly I see no relation between the 2 AT ALL, besides both being tube amps.

Also, even if you did get the Boogie to sound like a Marshall, it's only one facet of the amp that will resemble the JCM. What I mean by that is, for instance, I was trying an F-50 out and managed to get a "Marshall" riff tone going....as soon as I started playing single notes it went right back to being a Mesa. As No Soul said, if you want a Marshall, get a Marshall...but if I had my druthers.....
BTW - I love some of the tones Marshalls get...if I was gigging regularly, I'd probably have one in my arsenal, but for all around tone and quality, it's Mesa for me. (Actually, I'd probably shoot for a Soldano 8) )

no soul said:
not trying to flame here,
BUT

If you think ANY mesa sounds like a Marshall (save a Stiletto) just because you tossed some EL34s in it,

YOU ARE OUT TO LUNCH, and clearly know nothing about an incredibly important part of your amp called "THE PRE-AMP"

The pre-amp is where Boogies get the vast majority of their mojo from, so you can change powertubes to whatever the hell you want, its not going to change the fact that your amp sounds like a Boogie.

Also, why the hell would you want your Boogie to sound like a Marshall?
If you want a Marshall sound, BUY A MARSHALL!

You might as well try to turn your screw driver into a hamer, they are COMPLETELY different beasts.

Personaly I see no relation between the 2 AT ALL, besides both being tube amps.

Was the point of this thread that the author likes the idea of Mesa, but with some Marshall-y characteristics? I got kind of lost.

My best advice: If YOU like it - use it!

It doesn't matter what us "experts" say... :wink:

Back