dual rec vs. music man hd130

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalhead51105

Reaction score
hey all
im new to the forum and the the mesa boogie family as i have just purchased a dual rec. before i was playing through a music man hd 130 :shock: and a line 6 spider II. :oops: i was just wondering if anyone has ever owned a music man hd 130 and whether it is worth adding to my rig just for cleans. i like the dual recs cleans but im thinking the music man would add a dynamic for dirtier cleans since it seems to have less headroom. anyway just wondering what everyone thought.

The Musicman should have a brighter clean tone than the Dual Rec, unless you have some non-stock dark sounding speakers in the Musicman. The Musicman amps basically have a Fender-like clean tone. You should have plenty of headroom with the Musicman as well. If not, you may need some tubes.

yeah i feel that. im guessing that new tubes probably would be best. right now it has 4 el34s from god knows when considering i inherited this amp awhile ago. i talked to all kinds of musicians including professionals at guitar stores and such and they all told me not to replace them yet. but its been a realllllly long time. like years. as far as the darker sound im using a behringer bass cab cause the amp head started as my bass amp. its still got a good sound but im sure replacing the tubes will make it soooo much better.

I owned a music man HD-130 before i bought my Dual Rec. It really just depends on what style you want to play. The HD-130 was great for clean tones, but i found when i tried to get some distortion out of it, it was not exactly what i was looking for. That added with it not taking to pedals very well eventually led me to sell it. The Dual rec is great for the style i play, however i sometimes miss the clean sounds and versatility i could get out of the music man. To completely answer your question, the HD does have alot of headroom, but i think the dirty cleans are alot better on the music man. I dont even bother using my Rec for dirty cleans, it doesnt sound too great in my opinion.

supercoupe94 said:
I owned a music man HD-130 before i bought my Dual Rec. It really just depends on what style you want to play. The HD-130 was great for clean tones, but i found when i tried to get some distortion out of it, it was not exactly what i was looking for. That added with it not taking to pedals very well eventually led me to sell it. The Dual rec is great for the style i play, however i sometimes miss the clean sounds and versatility i could get out of the music man. To completely answer your question, the HD does have alot of headroom, but i think the dirty cleans are alot better on the music man. I dont even bother using my Rec for dirty cleans, it doesnt sound too great in my opinion.

What type of settings do you have?

I have the Triple.. and it is so much cleaner... the cleans are more clean than my Fender Twin...

The Music Man is not bad for cleans, but front ending the distortion really doesn't do it for me on the amp.. the amp has to be cranked for a good distortion if it is a stock piece.. the pre-amp doesn't do the things that I like harmonically (it sounds too jagged when front ended...) to me ...

Latest posts

Back