Dual Rec vs. F-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devho

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the main differences between the Dual Rec and the F-50 are? I heard some sound bites of both and couldn't really notice much of a difference. How many of you swear by either one and why?

I'd say the difference comes down to one thing:

Everything.

Sorry, but they are VERY different amps,and capable of VERY different things.

sixtonoize said:
I'd say the difference comes down to one thing:

Everything.

Sorry, but they are VERY different amps,and capable of VERY different things.

Except that they are both Mesa!! You could hear similarities in the distortion for sure. No surprise there...

The F series is not going to get you any kind of " metal " distortion. Maybe classic rock but best suited for jazz/blues/fusion to me. If you are playing anything besides metal/modern rock then the f series is a great amp.

The DR is great for modern rock and probably not the best choice for blues/jazz/fusion though I am sure by using raw mode you might get some useful tones.

IMO the F series is best suited for clean styles while the DR is not.

Smartass answers aside, the F-series and the Rectifier series are very different, but can be useful in a variety of styles. I agree that the F-series will probably work better for Jazz/fusion, due to its clean capabilities, but I'd NEVER say that you can't get a "metal" distortion out of them.

It all comes down to what type of metal distortion you're going for. If you're looking for super-saturated, loose, bottom-heavy distortion, then a DR will suit you just fine. However, if you're looking for tight, smooth, and cutting gain, the F-series is more what you're looking for.

I think this "not metal" idea comes from the fact that the F-series is notoriously hard to dial in. In my experience, it's really easy to get a mushy, flabby tone out of the F-series, IF you try to dial them like a normal modern amp. However, the F-series is based upon the Mark series, which is a COMPLETELY different beast than other modern high-gain amps.

If you want to hear what the F-series is capable of, check out the F-series lounge at Harmony Central. They have clips of all kinds of styles over there, and are a generally very helpful group of people.

sixtonoize said:
Smartass answers aside, the F-series and the Rectifier series are very different, but can be useful in a variety of styles. I agree that the F-series will probably work better for Jazz/fusion, due to its clean capabilities, but I'd NEVER say that you can't get a "metal" distortion out of them.

Sixtonoize is correct in that you can certainly get nice distorted tones out of the F series. I think that if you actually play the two amps you will know immediately which one is for you. It comes down to what style you are playing. these amps are very , very different beasts. Perhaps I should say that the F series would not be my choice if you are playing metal music exclusively. It could be done, but it would not be manys first choice.

The F-50 is great for metal. Its voicing is pretty fairly in between the Mark and Rectifier lines: more bottom end than the Marks have, but way less flubbiness than the Rectos have.

I've tried multiple times to get into the Rectifier tone, but each time the mud just was too much for me. The Mark IV is much tighter and more my style. When I want to get a more "Recto-ish" tone (more bass and somewhat looser), I go for the F-50.

I'd say the F-50 is closer to a Mark than a Recto.

Oh, and if you want to hear an F-50 doing metal, check out Tommi Inkila's tone.

I think of a DR as a big brother to the F-50. The gain is very similar IMO. I used to own an F-30 and now own a RoV combo. The RoV is like the bigger badder brother of the F-30. I would say that an F series is closer to a Recto than a Mark really. I would imagine an F-50 being even closer to a Recto due to the 6L6's. The F-series is very versatile and can be used for any style music especially with an EQ in the loop! My personal taste is for the Rectos but the F series amps are GREAT amps.

MusicManJP6 said:
I think of a DR as a big brother to the F-50. The gain is very similar IMO. I used to own an F-30 and now own a RoV combo. The RoV is like the bigger badder brother of the F-30. I would say that an F series is closer to a Recto than a Mark really. I would imagine an F-50 being even closer to a Recto due to the 6L6's. The F-series is very versatile and can be used for any style music especially with an EQ in the loop! My personal taste is for the Rectos but the F series amps are GREAT amps.

See my point? Every person in this thread has a different opinion. They are both Mesa's and will both give a slightly different take on the Mesa sound. Whether they sound more like a Mark or Recto is all in how you EQ it and what pickups you are running into it etc... But the F series definetly have enough gain to play metal and the clean channel is very good.

I know it was a rather broad topic, and thanks for the replies.

But I've been looking at getting an F-100 head. Does anyone know where I can find one other than eBay and craigslist? They don't seem to be listed on the Mesa website either.

The F-series is discontinued. The Express line was billed as its replacement, but the gain structure is totally different (and weaker, IMO).

Racerboy makes a good point... your guitar and pickups will factor in a great deal to your decision. I'm a Petrucci tone-lover, so I gravitate towards ash & basswood body guitars with Dimarzio pickups... but also enjoy an EMG in a solid mahogany body guitar for a bit more gain. Either way, my preference for the F-50/Mark tones definitely comes from a desire for a tighter tone rather than more bass.

Latest posts

Back