Dual Rec TONE HELP

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgdmp5

Reaction score
Hey I just picked up a dual rec a few days ago (the 2010 model) and the tone is great and all. But what i'm really trying to get out of now is a 6505 tight "metal core" sound, devildriver, as I lay dying, I also love the killswitch engage tone. (i know there are people who really hate this so please save the effort of flaming it) I have a ts9 for boost, and yes I know this is not the best choice for boost but its all I have. So if anyone hes some serious help it would be very much appreciated. Also if its any help my guitars that I use mainly have EMG HZH4 and HZH4A's in them. Thanks

on a side note i'm even thinking about changing to a 6505 as much as I don't want to but if I can't get the tone i'm after I have to. So if you guys can help with this I will be the happiest man alive :)

Buy a Mark V.

You're settings are probably messed up.

Set everything at noon and tweek from there.
Here is a sample setting:

Bass 10oclock
Mid 12oclock
Treble 2oclock
Presence 9-12oclock
Gain 2oclock
Silicon Diode engaged
Output/master noon
No boost in your signal chain.

AILD - KRANK
KSE - Mainly Roadsters...and Diezel, Peavey, and Laney Amps.
DEVILDRIVER - Randall

TS9 is an issue as it is more flubby than tight. If you're going the stomp box route then look into:

Boss ML-2
TS808
MaxonOD

I agree with the above post. I don't listen to any of those bands so I have no idea what their tone is like or what amps they use, but those are some good settings to start from.

Also, pay special attention to the volume MesaGod666 suggested: 50%. So many people try to get bone-crushing tight metal sounds out of a recto at **** bedroom volumes... it's just not possible, period. No pedal, technique, guitar, anything will afford you that kind of superb tone at low volumes. When most of these bands record, their amps are cranked way, way, way up.

Of course the issue then becomes that the amp is too loud, to which my only question is: Why did you buy a 100watt all-tube head if you can't even use the **** thing?

Good luck on your quest for tone!

you need to put an EQ in your loop. search the forum, there are plenty of settings on there. 30.00 danelectro eq will improve your tone by leaps and bounds.

I just bought a used Dual rec to take over from my 6505+.
great head, great sounds but now i'm kinda over it, need something that can do more that just 1 straight up sound,
id say get rid of the mesa and buy 2 peaveys, they don't cost much. actually go for a used 5150, they own.

Also try keeping your bass low on the mesa and the mid high. The 6505+ has a **** ton of mids in it.

Hope this helps.

what situation are you using this amp specifically for?

stadiums, frequent gigs, bedroom, garage band?

If you are sitting in your bedroom, listening to "fulle sik brootalz tonez" of those metal kid bands on your CD player, you need to be aware of how much studio bullshit takes place for the guitar sound to be like that. It is EQ'd and compressed, and further compressed at mastering.

If you were in the studio listening to the sound coming out of the speaker cabs at the time of tracking, you'd probably be amazed at how it sounds very different than the guitar sound you are hearing on the final mastered CD, and being played at a very high output level to boot.

Guitar sound on CD of metal stuff is generally several guitar tracks all mixed together, so you are probably listening to maybe 4 - 6 distorted guitar layers, not just ONE like you are playing.

The Peavey probably sounds better when played alone (without band) but will get lost in a band mix well before a Recto will (with some good settings of course)

these sort of posts just make me love my rig even more :lol:

I was in the same boat with my dual rec, I tightened it up with a simple Boss Compression Sustainer pedal (CS-3) when I played at lower levels. The amp comes looser than the balls on a moose, so you definitely will need some outside help from some 3rd party pedals to get the sound you want. You probably don't wanna hear this but I eventually ended up selling my Dual Rec (early 2000s model) because I wasn't getting the punchy sound I wanted for playing Metal.

Actually, I should also mention this... check out the FJA mod for the Dual Rec, it's pretty sweet, I definitely wished it was around when I had my Rec, otherwise I probably wouldn't have had to sell my Rec.

that is a RECORD riff! sweet! i love the sound you're getting there. Is that raw amp or is there anything else in the mix?

Latest posts

Back