Dual rec parallel to series mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tempest1226

Reaction score
Hey i was just wondering if anyone has ever gotten the parallel to series mod done. I ask this because i recently had a thread about how i cant get my dual rec to sound good with the g major processor but when i just tried it with my dads JCM2000 marshall (series fx loop) head, it sounded great within 2 minutes. I just didint know how much it costs to get done average and what exactly they do as well as when the mod is done is it truly just a series head and no longer parallel so my problems would be solved with the g major? thanks everyone

Voodoo amps charge $150 (or $99 if you get it done along with the Standard/delux mod as well).

I believe it's only a matter of soldering a wire to a different point, search for the diagram someone has posted on this board if you're interested in having a go yourself.

I did it for my Rect-o-verb - it's a piece of cake, taking one wire off the mix knob, and moving another. The schematic is on the board (I think somone reposted it about 2 weeks ago).

I think you'll like the change - I did it because my GT-8 was sucking tone and it made a big difference.

i did it myself. i personaly don't feel it's worth it unless you're going to run a gate or some kind of volume attenuator in the loop. or do some crazy multiple preamp/fx processing. and you lose the loop on/off function too. so plan ahead why you want to do it and what you want to accomplish.

I really just need it done for my g major. I tried my g major on my dads jcm2000 marshall head (serial) and it took me 5 minutes to get the effects i wanted, chorus, phase, detune, delay, etc. Cant come close with dual rec (parallel). I also wonder, maybe someone would know this. If/when i get this mod done, will that void the warranty for the head.

In theory, when you set the mix knob on the back of your amp to 100%, it will run in series.. anything less will run it in parallel.

Some early recs were purely series such as this one:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of%20_Production/Recto_Rack/RackRear/Recto_Rackrear_Lgr.gif

You'll notice it only has the send potentiometer rather than the send AND the mix.

Hope that helps :-S

Ive just gotten my hands on a G Major.

Ill be using it in my modern Dual Rec loop..

There's a setting in the G Major to choose whether or not to run IT in series or parallel.. So I assume I will set it to parallel.. Series seems to be its factory setting out of the box so you need to change it in the I/O I think.. (have only played with it a couple times so far as my rig is elsewhere..)

Anyhow, Im wondering why would you want to mod the Boogie when you can switch the G Major to parallel in 5 seconds with a button.. ?

Changing the G-Major to Parallel is making the effects all independent, a parallel signal to all of them. What you have to do is turn on the kill-dry on the G-Major, and that still doesn't work for what some people are after. The series/parallel setting on the g-major does not make it work with a parallel loop (that's what the kill-dry is for).

+1 to tone addiction.

I've got mine running in a parallel loop on my tremoverb and i have the kill dry on. Once i switched it over i could instantly tell a difference. But then you have to make sure all your effect programs are all running in a parallel line. This does help, however i don't get the best effect sounds i think it's capable of in serial. When i run more than one effect i get effect loss(where it's very hard to hear each individual effect.) I'm thinking about modding mine to serial. you can get a good sound out of the gmajor on killdry with your parallel amp...however, it will sound better on serial. And in theory, it should change to serial once the mix is all the way up but it still doesn't.. Parallel loops, from what i understand about them, is when the amp sends two signals...one goes through the loop and the other is a dry signal that does not. So your effects processor will sound better when it's dealing with one signal. I could be wrong about that but am pretty sure that's what it does.

ToneAddictJon said:
Changing the G-Major to Parallel is making the effects all independent, a parallel signal to all of them. What you have to do is turn on the kill-dry on the G-Major, and that still doesn't work for what some people are after. The series/parallel setting on the g-major does not make it work with a parallel loop (that's what the kill-dry is for).

Took me about 5 minutes of research to realize I need to update my unit to get the 'Kill Dry' option :p

Ill do that tonight and give it a shot!

cheers.

Does the parallel to series mod disable the loop output and solo (no longer works)?

Back