Dual Rec/Maverick

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animeka

Reaction score
I saw this for sale locally, wondering if I can get a JP tone with this. I saw a video on youtube of a guy in Brazil playing Damage Control with a Dual Rectifier (on a 4x12) and I love the tone of it... Is this the same thing (Dual Rec yes but what is Maverick?)

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Mesa-Dual-Rectifier-Maverick-4x10-Combo-W0QQAdIdZ111904857

Look it up on the Mesa website. The Maverick does have dual rectifiers, but that's where the resemblance to the "Dual Rectifier" amps ends.
It's a 35 watt, Class A, 4 x EL-84 amp. Think retro, Vox-type sound.

Well, actually it's a bit voxy in the clean channel (especially through Celestion Alnico speakers), but the drive channel is nowhere near to a Vox's overdriven sound. IMHO the drive channel has a little tweed flavor and then goes into plexi territory especially when driving a closed Celestion-equipped cab. I have a 2x12 with Celestion G12H Heritage speakers and it get's pretty plexi. 8)

I have to say I agree, It has been awhile since I had my Maverick but I think it is more in the vox/fender/plexi territory. I wasn't able to get a good metal sound out of it and I don't like to use boost pedals either. It is a great amp but nothing like a standard dual rec head.

Two different animal. They do have a switch that you could select either a silicon rectifier or the tube rectifier.

I have a Trem-o-Verb which is basically a 2-channel Dual Rectifier but with Tremolo, reverb and "Blues Mode" on the red channel.

And I have a Maverick.

They don't sound alike. But I love both of them. But different applications. They do have the emblems "Dual Rectifier" like the Road Kings, Roadsters, Dual Rectifier but same with the Blue Angel.

Here's an animated gif I made. Note the "TREM-O-VERB" on a Road King say "ROAD KING", on a Maverick it says "MAVERICK", on a Blue Angel it say "BLUE ANGEL", on a Roadster it says "ROADSTER" etc ...
TremOVerb.gif

Maverick has the rep of having one of the very, VERY most wonderful clean channels Mesa EVER did, and you can even get enough gain for some crunch too. That channel alone sets that amp apart from most of the Mesa amps. Spectacular blues tones easily attainable there, wonderful reverb, and it rocks in the dirty channel, gain is short of metal tones, but decently musical nonetheless.

Latest posts

Back