Dual Rec + Gmajor + Vodoo Labs Ground Control

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivsaken

Reaction score
I have been reading mixed posts about channel switching with the Dual rec. I currently have a Gmajor and I think I am going to get the Ground Control to control it. I am reading that people are channel switching with the Gmajor and some other things I am reading is that you need an external channel switcher like a CFX4 Axess Electronics.

Is there a MIDI floor contoler that will have everything I need in one? Im a little confused reading people doing different things. From what I knew....you would blow the Mesa amp without a channel controller.

You may be ok depending on your needs.

The G-Major has the ability to switch amp channels -- but only two. If you need to switch between three channels, it can't do that. So, if you had a simple two-channel amp, that didn't use footswitches for any other features, you could connect the G-Major to the amp, and use the Ground Control to switch amp channels via the G-Major. The foot controller is merely a remote control for your G-Major in this case. It switches programs/presets on your G-Major, and it turns effect blocks on/off, and it changes amp channels.

But if you want full control of three channels, plus solo boost, plus rever on/off, etc., you'll have to get a dedicated switching system.

Scott

Other guitar player does all the cleans (and I have a Peizo if there is a PA there)....i have a three chan rec and will only be using channels 2 and 3. I read somewhere that the Mesa amp will not like it and could damage it....guess thats not true

maybe i dont need something fancy like the ground control. What I really need for this point in time is just a few presents and maybe a few presets EQed.

Solo preset (Delay)
Boosted solo channel
rythem
rythem with some effects

I also have a dunlop wah in the mix here and a Maxon OD808

These to be set in the gmajor and have a distorted dry with nothing. Is there something else that might fit me better?

If your Dual Rectifier has multiple 1/4 jacks on the back for switching, then it really shouldn't care if you don't happen to connect a cable to the jack for channel 1.

For your basic needs, you could use a simple foot controller like the Rocktron MIDI Mate and just use it for Program Changes on your G-Major. Some of your patches in the G-Major would be set for amp channel 2, and some for channel 3. Although you wouldn't be able to access the amp's solo boost feature, your G-Major has a gain boost feature for soloing that works quite well.

One other option -- keep using the Boogie foot controller for your amp, and just use a MIDI foot controller for your G-Major. I prefer my setup this way -- more live flexibility since I'm not programming my amp channel changes to different effect programs.

If you get a nice pedal board, you can mount both foot controllers on it, along with some pedals and other gear you may have.

Scott

Arent you doing a lot of tap dancing? We have one song that I need to switch channels, boost my volume, and hit the wah to turn that on and I don't think im gonna be able to do it all fast enough. I geuss ill have to try some things to see what works. I am also still using Kill Dry with my dual rec.....doesnt sound awful to me so im not sure I need the mod right away for that or if I can do it myself.

Sometimes it's not the best setup from a tap dancing perspective. I like it because if I have have an effect setup -- chorus and delay, for example, I can easily use any of the four channels on my Road King, can hit the solo boost, etc. On my MIDI foot controller, I can turn different effects On/Off and pick different sounds from my G-Major. Or, I use a pedal board with lots of stomp boxes.

Yeah, sometimes, the pedal dance is tough -- but it's so much easier than programming my sets since with original music, I'm spending a lot of time constantly writing and trying new sounds and ideas out.

If I do the type of set up you have (letting the floor controller just control the gmajor) can I sent a button to bypass the gmajor (no effects running at all)?

Absolutely. One of the CC messages the G-Major responds to is for its Global Bypass feature. Some others include turning any of the effect blocks On/Off, solo boost, and Tuner Mute (very important and useful one).

If you're switching a 3-channel, you can do all three channels (but NOT the solo boost) with the two relays in the G-Major. (One for red, one for green, defaults to orange/yellow.)

If you want the solo boost (although I just use channel two as a solo channel), you'll need an external switcher.

The Behringer FCB1010 MIDI controller has two switch relays (kind of like the G-Maj, just seperate jacks) so with that and the G-Maj you could control four functions (ch 1,2,3 & boost), you will just need to run another cable (stereo, or 2 mono cables) from the controller to the amp. The FCB1010 goes for about $150.00. If you already have a MIDI controller, then the Axess CFX4 is the better bet at $165.00.

Dom

domct203 said:
The Behringer FCB1010 MIDI controller has two switch relays (kind of like the G-Maj, just seperate jacks) so with that and the G-Maj you could control four functions (ch 1,2,3 & boost), you will just need to run another cable (stereo, or 2 mono cables) from the controller to the amp. The FCB1010 goes for about $150.00. If you already have a MIDI controller, then the Axess CFX4 is the better bet at $165.00.

True on all counts. The G-Major/FCB1010 programming might be a tad complex, but it will certainly work. I can recommend the CFX4 as bulletproof, too, should you decide to go that route - mine's been across half the US with no issues (in a Mesa shock rack, but, still...).

I have seen Mesa say you will burn out the relays trying to do this but I see you guys must have tried it. I am not looking to do anything too wild but I also don't want to be tap dancing too much on stage. Here is the modes that I would need to program.

2 presents for solo channel (one boosted and one not /with delays on)
---also some way to keep the wah pedal on so i can switch to the channel and not have to stomp the wah (there is a quick transition here for a solo)

3 preset for channel 3 (dry rhythm, EQed tighter rhythm, chorus rhythm)

preset for clean with effects

nothing too major and if I can only access channels 2 and 3 for now thats fine cause I dont play anything clean at this time live.

I can do this with just a MIDI controller and the Gmajor?

I think this is what I read before:

This answer is valid for all these models: Dual and Triple Rectifier, Rectoverb, Lone Star and Lone Star Special, Solo 50, Roadking.

According to Mesa Boogie Tech dept, these units require an isolated ground connection for each of the rear panel 1/4" external switching inputs.Since Y-Split cables are sharing the ground, they cannot be used from the G-System or G-Major (which output connection is TRS) because they could cause damage to the amp switching network.

You can still use mono cables from the GMajor / G-System to any of this amp. This will obviously divide by 2 the switching possibilities since only 1 relay per output can be used.

An other solution is to use a switching device such as AXESS ELECTRONIC CFX4 or MIDI SOLUTION R8 in combination with the G-System. Note that the R8 is midi powered only and requires an adapter available at MIDI SOLUTIONS that can be powered by one of the DC 9V outs of the G-System : The G-System does NOT provide Midi power.

The Mark series (Mark 2,3 & 4, Quad, Studio Preamp, formula Preamp, V-Twin rack Preamp) can be used with Y-Split cables.

ivsaken said:
I have seen Mesa say you will burn out the relays trying to do this but I see you guys must have tried it. I am not looking to do anything too wild but I also don't want to be tap dancing too much on stage. Here is the modes that I would need to program.

Yes, that's what Mesa says. The AmpGizmo is a good choice for those with a Road King or Roadster, since it has enough relays to

I use a CFX4. I don't know what the long-term effects are of using the G-Major for switching. I do believe some people have reported "pops" when switching with them.

I think im gonna go with the Behringer FCB1010.....seems to be a good unit.....guess Ill go from there.....gmajor sounds good to me even though its a Parallel.

Back