Dual Rec cleans?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sardocasm

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a dual rec because I love it's distortion but when I tried it at Guitar Center I only had time to use it and I wasn't able to use any channel besides the heavy distortion. So I was wondering how it handled clean sounds. I'm not expecting great cleans, but I still want a pretty nice tube clean from an almost two thousand dollar amp. I've looked all over the internet and wasn't able to find one clip showcasing the clean channel. Could somebody tell me a little about its clean channel and possibly provide a clip if possible?

It's no fender, but IMO, it is very good for such a high gain amp. It's definitely usable, even better with a chorus.

if you EQ it properly, it can sound very nice. obviously here you run your treble fairly high, mids in the low to low mid range on the dial, bass between half to 3/4 of where your treble is. then the difference maker is two more things: the presence knob--will give you the nice chime, and your pickup selection. single coils are very nice, neck humbuckers also nice. a hot bridge will overdrive it. ive played a fender twin and its not the same, but it's definately good enough.

Overall I've been quite pleased with the clean tones from channel 1 in my DR. I gig with my DR frequently and I think there is plenty of clean headroom without breaking up. Like ibanez4life mentioned, it's no Fender, but for a multi-channel high gain monster, you can't complain about the clean tones. There is plenty of warmth and punch.

If you want me to, I can send you some brief clips.... warning though, they will be recorded with a *CRAPPY* computer mic, so the quality will be bad simply due to the mic, but the option is there

Could you? That'd be great. I just want to get some idea of what it sounds like.

What kind of clean tone are you looking for specifically?

Please don't take this as a contentious answer, but this is my take on it.

I'm running my DR into a set of Marshall 4x12 cabs with V-30's and Greenbacks in an X pattern. My clean sound is very much like what Pete Loeffler of Chevelle gets, but bear in mind that a lot of that comes from the fact that I'm running into a closed back cabinet with speakers that are designed to sound really fat and break up at a low volume. Bearing that in mind, I'm pretty happy with my clean tone.

Personally, one of the main reasons why I would never consider purchasing a Dual/Triple Rect is because I can't stand the cleans. To me, they sound so sterile, I can hardly listen to it without cringing. If your playing requires a nice clean tone, then I recommend staying away from a Dual/Triple Rect. Otherwise, you could probably improve the clean tone with a Chorus pedal, Reverb, and an Equalizer.

On the other hand, you could just dish out a few more bucks and get a Road King. (If you are going to spend nearly $2000 on a Dual Rectifier, then why not dish out an additional $500 to get a Road King, which has infinite more tones than a Dual Rect. and a far better clean channel).

Well, this is the clean tone I have now. I'm looking for something about like that. Basically, I want a clean that sounds at the very least as good as the clean in the clip. I'm also leaning a towards the Mark IV because I know it can get great cleans, but I really want the distortion of the Dual Rectifier. I dont' really want to go for the Road King, though.

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/441d478dmd8f2df50/bc/clean+sample/clean+tone.mp3?bfQyDNEBEl2Wkq19

I used a 1966 Fender Mustang plugged into a Crate GLX65 1x12 combo.

If you want Recto distortion and very good cleans, then the Road King is a no brainer.

RK Channel 1 has three modes: clean, fat, tweed. Note that 'clean' is the Mark IV clean circuit.

RK Channel 3 and 4 will give you the recto crunch.

I'm not sure what you reason is for not wanting a Road King, but based on what you've described, the RK is a perfect fit for your requirements.

mloiaco said:
Personally, one of the main reasons why I would never consider purchasing a Dual/Triple Rect is because I can't stand the cleans. To me, they sound so sterile, I can hardly listen to it without cringing.................
I disagree

mloiaco said:
If you want Recto distortion and very good cleans, then the Road King is a no brainer.

RK Channel 1 has three modes: clean, fat, tweed. Note that 'clean' is the Mark IV clean circuit.

RK Channel 3 and 4 will give you the recto crunch.

I'm not sure what you reason is for not wanting a Road King, but based on what you've described, the RK is a perfect fit for your requirements.
Agreed! A RK would fit your needs. I think it has the clean channel from the Lone Star also.

I just got a Road King Series II. "Clean" and the "Fat" modes are my favorite nice punch. You can get bell-like with a single-coil if you EQ it right. I like the clean way better on my Road King then a fender, IMO less harsh on the ears, but thats just my tone point of view, not that it means anything.

--Matt--

my internet just came back up. I'll send you those recordings. it might go in your spam box, but check for [email protected].

I have personally had no problem with the clean on my dual rec. It sounds really nice in my opinion. It can be warm, fat, and round, or bright. you just have to know how to eq it.

I love Boogie cleans!! I have had several Boogies and the cleans are really good IMO. Currently I have the Road King and keep it on Tweed, but even before that I used all my Boogies at one time or another to play country gigs with...... Yep, a Triple recto stack playing George Strait, and it performed very nicely and sounded every bit as good as a Fender...Well, nothing beats an old Fender for cleans but the Boogies sure do come close and my RK is even closer to beating it.

Theres a guy around town here that uses a Dual recto and a 2x12 closed back to play Jazz and has an amazing tone.

The Boogie clean is a bit darker than a Fender, but adjusting the knobs right can dial in a nice chimey clean tone, or a buttery clean tone or even a fat jazz tone... add a little gain to it and you got a great country tone or blues tone.

Thanks a lot! And the reason I don't really want a Road King is because of the price, especially seeing as how I might need to get my car fixed soon.

actually it might be a little longer... I blew up a speaker last night and am waiting for the replacement..... sorry :oops:

It's no problem at all, I don't need it immediately or anything. I just want to hear before I go back to the Mesa dealer in a couple months.

Latest posts

Back