Dual Rec, ch. 2 question...please help.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G.I.G.

Reaction score
Alright, here is my dilemma....

I have my DR set up to have ch. 1 sparkling clean, ch. 3 for a thick, chugg'n rhythm sound using the modern mode, think Zakk Wylde, Creed/Alter Bridge, Godsmack, etc. But I am stuggle'n getting a killer sound out of channel 2.

What I'm going after in Channel 2 is a great lead/rhythm sound with the vintage setting where I can nail some old Metallica, Motley Crue, STP, 80's stuff, etc. I don't want to swap out the 6L6's I have in there for EL34's to do it either. I have tried the EL34's in my ROV and always lean toward the 6L6's, especially since I don't want to comprimise the magic I have found in channnel 3.

Do any of you guys have suggestions for getting a killer 80's tone in the vintage setting with a DR......without having to buy a Marshall :wink:

That sound in my head is eluding me for some reason. Here are the settings I'm using currently.

Channel 2, Vintage Mode:

Presence - 3:30
Master - 1:30
Gain - 2:30
Bass - 4:00
Mid - 12:00
Treble - 1:00

The reason why I have the bass turned up so much is because it lacks punch and balls, but if I come down with the treble, it sounds flat and dry. I just retubed my whole amp with JJ's and that didn't help my problem with channel 2.

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

Here are two settings I liked with my 6L6's.. not sure if it's what you're after but it might give you some ideas .

Bold power, tube rectifier

Presence: 2:30
Master: 11:00
Gain: 3:00
Bass: 1:30
Mid: 12:00
Treble: 1:30

and

Presence: Use this as an adjustable 'focus' knob, season to taste ( I like 4 -5:00 and 12-1:00 the best)
Master: 11:00
Gain: 3:00
Bass: 5:00
Mid: 11:00
Treble: 2-2:30

My amps channel 3 has a better 80's lead tone. I promise I have tried since I have had it to get the "red" distortion to be my new sound, but my channel 2 has the tight compression and buzzsaw distortion on newer metal, not "Nu Metal". My channel 2 rips for distortion, but the way the red channel is voiced on my amp, it just wouldn't make sense not to use it that way. It could be because of the mod, I am not exactly sure everything they did because I bought it used. It could also be that it was moded to run 6550 tubes, which are HUGE! I would have to play a stock one and compare.

I set channel 2 to Vintage

* Gain 3:00
* Treb 12:00
* Mid 11:00
* Bass 11:00
* Pres 11:00 - 12:00

That's my absolute favorite channel on a recto and I use for all my hard stuff.

Latest posts

Back