Dream theater's new video in studio

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundpurist

Reaction score
Maybe you guys knew about it... :roll: ...maybe not.

http://www.roadrun.com/artists/DreamTheater/video.aspx

I got tell you DT is the best band to me BUT after scenes from a memory album I really hated everything.I liked some songs nothing more than this.They became much more metal than progressive.
If I want to hear metal I'll listen to other bands that do better metal than them.
This video show me that they're still only in metal stuff with endless riffs and ugly vocal melodies . :cry:
:cry: :cry:

Images And Words, Awake, Falling Into Infinite and Scenes From A Memory are master pieces :shock:

According to M. Portnoy, the two tracks that RoadRunner decided to release early happened to be the heavier ones, and apparently aren't necessarily representative of the album as a whole.

Personally I've always loved the heavy side of DT, so I'm actually pretty into these new tracks. It's kind of weird; since SDOIT I've been less wild about DT's albums, but with this album for some reason I'm really stoked. I haven't been anticipating a DT release this much since SFAM.

Anyway, I'm glad John Petrucci switched back to the Mark series for this album; his RK tone was just too sludgy for my taste. Maybe that's why I'm into the new release so much. :D

18&Life said:
I got tell you DT is the best band to me BUT after scenes from a memory album I really hated everything.I liked some songs nothing more than this.They became much more metal than progressive.
If I want to hear metal I'll listen to other bands that do better metal than them.
This video show me that they're still only in metal stuff with endless riffs and ugly vocal melodies . :cry:
:cry: :cry:

Images And Words, Awake, Falling Into Infinite and Scenes From A Memory are master pieces :shock:
I feel quite the same. But I always try to consider it as a new genre they turned to, without comparing with the first albums, even if it's pretty difficult! Can't beat the creativity of Images & Words or the arrangements of Awake for sure, but I don't dislike the heavy side of DT.
I'm expecting something better from the other songs of Systematic Chaos, but I think it will be better than Octavarium anyway (to my tastes). However, after listening to these two last DT's works, I'm thinking the much criticised Train Of Thought had some really nice riffs and cool groove in comparison

I do like their heaviest things too BUT in the 3 last albums heavies parts is all they have.
To me they had the perfect mix between prog and metal now this balance is more to metal,much more metal.
Riffs all around the songs,no beautiful mysterious clean passages,vocal's melodies really strange,solo's based only in speed and 1.000 notes per second,where is melodies,harmonies ?
I don't know maybe I'm asking too much but as I said If I want to hear only metal I will hear other bands that do better metal songs than them.
:(

Hey ytse_jam, What two Dream Theater albums would you recommend. I liked the Dark Eternal Knight clip, personally I could do without keyboards, like forever, but I can over look them with John's playing, the drummer, and bass player!

I've seen the clip on youtube called Damage COntrol what album is that on?

clutch71 said:
Hey ytse_jam, What two Dream Theater albums would you recommend. I liked the Dark Eternal Knight clip, personally I could do without keyboards, like forever, but I can over look them with John's playing, the drummer, and bass player!

I've seen the clip on youtube called Damage COntrol what album is that on?
hi clutch71; as said 18&Life, the song "Damage Control" is from John Petrucci's solo album "Suspended Animation".
The two DT albums I would recommend for sure are "Images & Words" (1992) and "Awake" (1994).
Images & Words: great songs, best ideas, best melodies (and some of the best soloing tones by Petrucci if you ask me)
Awake: great songs, best arrangements.

EDIT: however, if you liked "Dark Eternal Night" and you're into heavy stuff, you may like the album "Train Of Thought"

ytse_jam said:
Images & Words: great songs, best ideas, best melodies (and some of the best soloing tones by Petrucci if you ask me)
Awake: great songs, best arrangements.

+ 1.000 :D

I'm all about the Heavy stuff! No wonder I couldn't find Damage Control.

So the cats out of the bag. I don't know much about DT or JP. They won't revoke my boogie board license will they?

Thanks for the advice guys!

clutch71 said:

Dude damage control on youtube and you'll see the live video !
You can't find it, come'n :shock:

18&Life said:
clutch71 said:

Dude damage control on youtube and you'll see the live video !
You can't find it, come'n :shock:

Meaning I couldn't find the song Damage Control on a DT album. Still a moron I know!

But I said it's a Petrucci's song, it's in his album not in a DT's album :evil:
:lol:

Im a Dream Theater Fanatic

JP is god!!!!!

His pickin is only 2nd by his own personal fav. Steve Morse,I would consider them as two different approaches anyway

As far as DT's writting,its always a natural progression from one album to another

The writting on their last album was very diverse,and is in actual fact my least favorite album,great pop songs,very aggresive in your face baritone tunes,and you can still listen to the entire album and its not like,ohh there is their pop tune,and there is thier metal tune

these guys are musical wizards the things they do in songs would just destroy any mere mortal

At the end of the day they write great music,guitar solo's and all the virtuosity is added naturally for these guys,they arent out to prove jack ****!!!

I love this band,every album,some more than others,they arent a metal band,they are a prog metal band,big difference

If you guys want a proggier version of dream theater go get some Porcupine Tree,if its instrumental prog go check out Jon Finn group,all of the Jon Finn Group are tutors at berklee!!!

yeah these guys are crazy,very dixie dreggs.steve morse

:D :D :D :D

Back