Dr Z help/info

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have a Maz Sr. 2x12 combo. I really liked the tones & the construction quality is second to none. However, it was just way too loud for my needs and there wasn't enough of the medium gain that I like without using pedals. Great amp though!

Dr Z amps are great amps. Their construction is flawless and their tones are superb. Keep in mind, they are a different animal when compared to a Mesa design.

Depends on what you want to use it for... I recorded my parts on our CD with an original MAZ 38 head through a Marshall 1960 cabinet with Celestions. Check out 36-24-36 on my MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/louiewarren. The solo is done with the rig mentioned above using my Paul Reed Smith Standard. What I liked about the amp is you could control the drive with your guitar volume knob. Down low, good clean tones, and up full, the lead tone you hear on the track. Let me know what you think.[/url]

I say Dr. Z fills the gap between vintage amps (old Fender and Marshalls) and hi gain amps (Boogies, SLO, Peavey's XXX, etc ....).

For boutique their prices are rather reasonable. I'm not so sure the majority of the members of this board really would be into Dr. Z since they're not hi gain amps but on the other extreme, I know a few vintage aficionados would enjoy them.

RR said:
I say Dr. Z fills the gap between vintage amps (old Fender and Marshalls) and hi gain amps (Boogies, SLO, Peavey's XXX, etc ....).

For boutique their prices are rather reasonable. I'm not so sure the majority of the members of this board really would be into Dr. Z since they're not hi gain amps but on the other extreme, I know a few vintage aficionados would enjoy them.

Well... if you are a fan of tone... I was able to get all the gain I wanted out of the 38 in the studio. I used to own a Marshall Major and was able to get a similar tone I got pushing that big ******* to its limit. Go to a dealer and try one. I think you'll like it. They have other models that are a little more power, but Z's are cool, no doubt.

zdaddy001.jpg

yes..crunchy..thanks guys!! :D

The word that sums up Z's amps is "PURE."

Try an 18-watter like a Maz 18 or a Ghia if you think a 30+ watter might be too much. I loved my Ghia a lot but wouldn't want more power. I second what the other guy above said about them.

A Dr. Z would definitely be my first choice for Tele playing.

Back