Dr Z Air Brake or THD Hot Plate for Rect-o-Verb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanicProne

Reaction score
Which one would you guys recommend?...

Also I heard theres no sense in getting an attenuator for an amp with a master volume control. Does the master volume somehow act as an attenuator?

PanicProne said:
Which one would you guys recommend?...

Also I heard theres no sense in getting an attenuator for an amp with a master volume control. Does the master volume somehow act as an attenuator?

I just received a HotPlate yesterday for my ROV. Still working with it, but it seems to do what I wanted. Yes, it is a master volume amp, but to get the really low late-night volumes in my house (three kids<g>), I wind up setting the channel masters very low and the main output to like .25 and that makes me nuts. Very touchy. It's also diffucult to balance the channels with the effects loop that way since they are all related. I'm using the HotPLate in -4 or -8 mode, just to let me turn up the channel masters a bit. If I were playing at bachelor levels, I probably wouldn't need it with this amp. I also use the amp's slave out to my 'puter and a cab simulator and the load setting is nice for an easy speaker shut off.

Don't know about the Dr.Z...

~fredster

I cannot speak for the ROV but I use a THD hotplate with my Dual Rec and I love it.

The Dr. Z's are very basic, kind of a one trick pony. Reminescent of the first generation of Matchless just not as hot. The one trick they do is very good, but not versatile. with a crap load of pedals in front it may be a different story.
As for the THD...I've tried most everything they make and I've never been able to dial in a good useable tone. Be it Bi-Valve, Uni-Valve, swappin' tube like mad, I didn't like the voicing.
I'm to the point that if i can't get a great tone with just my guitar straight to the amp...I'm not going to bother. Look to Fuchs or the new Supro's made by Bruce Zinky. He was head of Fender's Custom Amps a few years back. he is responsible for Tone King's Vibro King's etc... I have played his new Blue Velvet's and they ROCK. He also has a 3-10" 50W version of his Vibro King in a Supro. Zinky Amps

Guitarzan said:
The Dr. Z's are very basic, kind of a one trick pony. Reminescent of the first generation of Matchless just not as hot. The one trick they do is very good, but not versatile. with a crap load of pedals in front it may be a different story.
As for the THD...I've tried most everything they make and I've never been able to dial in a good useable tone. Be it Bi-Valve, Uni-Valve, swappin' tube like mad, I didn't like the voicing.
I'm to the point that if i can't get a great tone with just my guitar straight to the amp...I'm not going to bother. Look to Fuchs or the new Supro's made by Bruce Zinky. He was head of Fender's Custom Amps a few years back. he is responsible for Tone King's Vibro King's etc... I have played his new Blue Velvet's and they ROCK. He also has a 3-10" 50W version of his Vibro King in a Supro. Zinky Amps

I don't think he was asking about amps.. he is asking about high frequency signal attenuators.

I had a Rect-o-verb. (2x12) Used a Hot Plate with it and was real happy with it.

Now I've got the LSC ............... and use the same Hot Plate with it. And still real happy with it.

Real nice piece of equipment, real ugly color. (8 ohm is purple, yuk)
I wish it was just black. Oh well, can't have everything. Works great.

Good Luck!

Back