DR: 2 chan vs 3 chan?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skunknugget

Reaction score
Ok I'm sure this has been asked a million times so could someone just link me to a site or thread that answers my question? Thanks a lot.

Do you like apples or oranges? Do you really need a dedicated clean, rhythem, and lead channel? Are you part of the "my gear is more rare than yours" club? Are you going to treat the amp with love and care? Only you can answer these questions.

The two channel sounds different. Because of that some people will tell you the two sounds better than the three, and other people will tell you the three sounds better/same as the two. It's mostly down to opinion. On a purely statistical feature standpoint the three wins over the two. The real deciding factor though is the sound, and only you can tell if the two suits you better than the three.

Search for the "Rectifier Lineage" thread, It has a lot of great information...esp regarding 2 channel DR's. Goodluck!

Ah yea Rectifier Lineage. That's the thread I was looking for but I forgot what it was titled. Thanks Johnson!

I'll throw in my two cents... I started off with a Rectoverb and really liked the Dual Rec sound. The ROV did not offer Tube Rectification, Channel Assignable loop, nor the option to run EL-34's, and there was a slight delay in switching channels.

I travel a lot and over the last year I found and played several older 2 channels of various revisions. It is my belief that the different revisions were Mesa's attempt to correct the cleans. I think revisions C-F have the best sounding Hi Gain of the Rectifier Lineage. Tight, Fat, Saturated. The Rev G with the right combination of tubes and OD and a slight adjustment to the Presence and Treble will sound very close to these older revisions. And guess what? The cleans are good too!.... But there is a price for those cleans.

Channel "Cloning". The manual states and "explains" how the red or orange channel can be configured to sound "exaclty" the same. "Want two red channels, " Mesa says. "How about 2 orange? Just configure the following..." Well IMO Channel Cloning never worked. My rev G has good cleans on orange, great modern hi gain sounds on the red, and great hi gain vintage tones on the orange channel. I was never able to get good cleans on the red channel. Thus the 3 channel models, which if you read the manual tell you exacly which channel (2 or 3) is voiced Vintage/Modern in the 3 channel models.

You wil note that Mesa does not mention channel cloning anymore.

That's my take on it. Mesa's quest for cleans in the rectifier ine. Which brings us to the Roadster and Roadking. Great cleans, great high gain sounds, and I think eventually good bye plain old Dual Rectifier.

Back