Does this Mark IV sound ok or not right?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lution

Reaction score
~Please Read Before Clicking The Link~
Just want to get some opinions on the Rhy 2 channel. It sounds IMO that there could be some internal issues with this amp's preamp section. The Rhy 2 channel sounds like its about ready to die... and not in a good way, in a bad way.

take a listen and tell me honestly what you think.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=122032&songID=6509600

This recording is only a quick riff or two in the Rhy 1 channel then I click over to the Rhy 2 channel, then back to Rhy 1.

Here are my settings used for the recording.

Mesa Boogie Mark IV v.B Combo - Celestion MC90 speaker
Brand new Quad of Shuguang 6L6GC-M Power Tubes (hand-picked and tested by Lord Valve with Mesa bias levels)
Brand New Tung Sol 12ax7 Preamp Tubes - Shuguang 9th Gen 12ax7 in V1 Position
Micced with a Shure SM 57 on axis
straight into an Edirol UA-25
Recorded into Sonar LE
Mastered as a high quality mp3 using Cool Edit Pro
Guitar used was a PRS SE Singlecut with humbuckers
plugged straight into the amp.
no effects and no post eq
Double-checked for clipping signal. none.

I used the settings from the Mesa Boogie manual for Clean/Crunch/Lead except I have the Rhy 2 gain set at 6.5

here is the top group of knobs:

6 Pulled
6.5 Pulled

bottom row

8 Pulled

Graphic EQ was OFF
Master at 3
Full Power
Pentode Mode
Simulclass

I also tried lowering the bass and the gain levels down and it doesn't shake that cutting out choked out sound. I tried a different set of power tubes and preamp tubes. No luck in changing this sound. It sounds the same all over the knob values too.

Thanks for your input. I mean it could be just my ears, but rhy 2 just doesn't sound like it should.

Also, if anyone has a favorite setting for Rhy 2 let me know the settings and I can record something using those particular settings for comparison.

Hey, very high quality recording, I like the clean tone in the beginning when you were strumming the chords, I wasn't too fond on the single note tone, i'm taking that's the Rhy 2 ? imo it didn't seem to suit the style you were playing, but i liked the overtones on the chords with that tone, you should of tried playing some AC/DC with that tone or something, would love to hear some clips

Man, there's something wrong there. Sounds like a cardboard. I presume it gets worse with the gain turned up. If anything, IMO the R2 lacks gain only, not character, and it is never harsh. Try different preamp tubes.

~trem

EDIT: Sorry, you've tried different preamp tubes already. Have you tried different cabs? If not then definitely get it checked.

trem said:
Man, there's something wrong there. Sounds like a cardboard. I presume it gets worse with the gain turned up. If anything, IMO the R2 lacks gain only, not character, and it is never harsh. Try different preamp tubes.

~trem

EDIT: Sorry, you've tried different preamp tubes already. Have you tried different cabs? If not then definitely get it checked.

Correct, it does get worse with the gain turned up. No matter what settings I adjust, it always sounds this way.

I also plugged it into my Bogner OS2x12 with 2 V30s. No change in the sound. I'm glad I'm not the only one hearing this.

Sounds like emg's with no/dead battery.....could be a bad tube....cold solder joint, blown cap, fried resistor or transistor. Could be a MILLION things man....get that amp looked at because it sounds like butt crack.

Back