Does this Mark IV mod exist

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
I want to say I have read about this but can't find it anymore.

Is there a Mark IV mod that basically makes R2 a second lead channel?

Obviously you don't have the lead drive, but say the mod hardwired the circuit in such a way that acheived a lead drive value of like 7 pushed.

There is just this annoying bouncyness (for lack of a better word) that I just can't dial out of R2. I would like it so much more if it could acheive the sounds I get when I lower the gain settings on the lead channel.

I think your issue may be with C344 the V2A R2 cathode cap. It's 15uf and makes R2 big, bassy and flubby.
It also provides some of the gain, but you may consider swapping C344 with C332. Going down to 2.2uf will remove
bass, retain gain and tighten up R2. Using the 15uf for C332 will make the Mid-Gain switch like the Pull Deep on the IIC+.

Boogiebabies said:
Going down to 2.2uf will remove
bass, retain gain and tighten up R2. Using the 15uf for C332 will make the Mid-Gain switch like the Pull Deep on the IIC+.

Now, this sounds interesting.
But what about the Harmonics position of the switch, would it stay the same?

First of all, I suck so bad at soldering I wouldn't do it myself if it were through whole let alone surface mount. I **** near screwed up my strat installing a Seymour Duncan into the bridge position.

Now, please do tell! What is the extreme mod? I am very satisfied with Lead and R1. It is mainly R2 that drives me nuts. Does the cap change you discuss only effect R2?

Do you do this type of work? I notice you are in Charlotte. I am near Raleigh. Do you do this type of work?

Boogiebabies said:
Restless Rocks said:
Now Ed, don't give away all our nasty little secrets!!! :wink: :wink:

I did not say they could do it themselves. If they cook the pad, their screwed !!!!

At least I did not tell them about the Extreme mod. :mrgreen:

Oh, well, nevermind. I live in Italy, I wouldn't send you my amp anyway, shipping it back and forth would cost me almost as a spare Dual Caliber ;)

Boogiebabies said:
RR does it too. :D

He is in Ashe County and he is a cheese maker.

I'm looking to add the Extreme switch from the MK V to the MK IV.

I thought I read somewhat that the extreme mode on the 5 was the Mark IV with the presence either pulled or pushed?

Either way if you guys think that cap change would solve the problem I have and only effects R2 and leaves R1 and Lead alone, pm me what you would charge to do it.

Thanks

straitouttahell said:
Boogiebabies said:
Restless Rocks said:
Now Ed, don't give away all our nasty little secrets!!! :wink: :wink:

I did not say they could do it themselves. If they cook the pad, their screwed !!!!

At least I did not tell them about the Extreme mod. :mrgreen:

Oh, well, nevermind. I live in Italy, I wouldn't send you my amp anyway, shipping it back and forth would cost me almost as a spare Dual Caliber ;)

Oh, come now. I helped an Italian guy convert his IIC+ 60/100 into a Simul by photo's and e-mail.
I bet you a Peroni you can do it.

Boogiebabies said:
What about Mad Science Works or Darren Riley ?

I trust Yontz at Mad Science works as well. He has done some good work for me in the past. Just didn't know if he knew about it. And didn't know if this is what you did for living. If it was I was going to give you first dibs since you brought it up.

Do you think he knows about these mods?

Cool,

Thanks.

I'm sure he has the schematics though.

It does only effect R2 though, right?

man, I'm tempted to do that r2 mod... just a little concerned about keeping it stock :?
either way, great info!

Boogiebabies said:
Oh, come now. I helped an Italian guy convert his IIC+ 60/100 into a Simul by photo's and e-mail.
I bet you a Peroni you can do it.

I have a high school degree in electronics and have worked from 1997 to 2008 as an engineer, repairing industrial and medical lasers, so I think I can handle a soldering iron. Problem is knowing what to do with it, as I am totally ignorant on tube technology :)

Boogiebabies said:
RR does it too. :D

He is in Ashe County and he is a cheese maker.

I'm looking to add the Extreme switch from the MK V to the MK IV.

Okay so there's a cheeze plant here! Our biggist tourist attraction, trust me stop eating cheddar cheeze :lol: :lol:

I'm sure either Ed or myself would be happy to do some tweaking on your amps; we luvs working on Boogies!!! PM either of us for links to our websites. I just don't feel comfortable using the forum to advertise.
John

Back