Does the Mark IV sound like the V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to fire up the Mark IV. Oh crap, the old Chinese tubes do sound fizzy. That is an easy fix... Just for kicks, fired up the Mark V, confirmed the old Mesa tubes do have a fizzy sound to them. WTF, the amps sounded great, but ear fatigue gets in the way. A tube rolling I will go, a tube rolling I will go, take the crappy *%&K%#@ tubes out, ...... Oh well,

owned both for long times; only for a very particular application would most like the IV more than the V. The V is an all-round better amplifier.

To offer an opinion based on the original question "Does the Mark IV sound like the V?". No it does not.

I have tried to get a close comparison to both amps, swapped tubes from the V to the IV and played through the same 412 cab. The V is voiced differently than the IV. There are some similarities with the Lead channel of the IV and the CH mark IV mode, but they are not identical. The V offers a greater degree of different tones in all channels. Very versatile. I had the same assessment between the Mark III and the Mark IV, where the Mark IV was more versatile than the Mark III since there was separation between the lead channel and the clean and rhythm. I almost miss the Mark III, but I am happy to get feedback from the new owner who is very pleased with it.

I doubt that I will ever sell the Mark IV, I do enjoy playing though it from time to time, plus it is easier to transport since it is a combo and not a half stack like my V. However, I have been considering getting another amp, was considering a Carvin V3 half stack, but may opt for a V combo instead. If I get a V Combo, I may sell the IV.

bandit2013 said:
To offer an opinion based on the original question "Does the Mark IV sound like the V?". No it does not. .

Maybe I should retract my opinion. It is very close. Recently I decided to run both amps simultaneously with a stereo output modulating delay. First I started with Mark IV in the clean channel, Mark V in the fat clean. Both had similar EQ settings and the master volume was adjusted for a good balance. The Mark V powered the full 412 and the Mark IV was using it's C90.
I was blown away. That was just incredible. I have done this with the Mark IV before but I used the slave out to drive the MKIII using the effects return. This time, I wanted to hear both preamps do their thing. I must have spent a few hours just exploring the clean channels. Then came the moment of truth. Lead on IV and CH3 MKIV on the V. Tone is very close, the V provides more definition than the IV but driving both amps at the same time is beyond belief. I even mixed CH2 Edge with the Lead of the IV. It seemed endless to what I could do. That makes it more tempting to convert the MkIV combo to a head unit and get another 412 cab. I know this is not a new thing to do. It is common that many performers use a multitude of amps to get their tone. I do not know why I waited so long to do this.

Latest posts

Back