Does the ED normally run HOT?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ancheta4321

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and just purchased an ED. I love it. One question, mine runs pretty hot. I was wondering if thats normal or not. When I've been playing for a few minutes, the amp gets very warm. I have owned a LS before and it did not run this hot. I have however owned some tube amps that have run this hot. I just want to make sure nothings wrong. Thanks

I don't think anything's wrong. By the end of a session with my ED, the faceplate is usually almost too hot to touch. These guys run really hot. Sound matches the temperature though. Awesome.

Oh yeah!

I personally think it should have come with a fan installed, so I went and "installed" my own.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=39649&p=302247&hilit=installed#p302247

With this setup here the face plate does not get hot. Made a very big difference. It is like second nature for me now. Before I turn the amp on the fan goes on, unless I'm recording.

Yeah the combos run real hot. the head on the other hand is not to bad as beacuse everything is not upsidedown like on the combos.

Bill

Bullseye said:
Yeah the combos run real hot. the head on the other hand is not to bad as beacuse everything is not upsidedown like on the combos.

The head also has a vent on top of the cabinet. When I checked out the current draw of the tubes on my Electra-Dyne, they are not running "cold" like the earlier Mark series Boogies.

Yeah the vent on the top does wonders to remove heat from the cabinet. I know a few have said they are using fans to remove excess heat away but I believe they mean in the combos. My head has not gotten hot enough for me to worry about it. Not to say the tubes don’t get blazin’ but the head vents it out well. 8)

Bill

Back