Does anyone have any experience with Mesa 2-Fifty power amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowYaw

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Mesa 2-Fifty power amp?
Does it hold up to its bigger brother (2:90) tonewise? Xpt for not having deep / etc. modes

The 50/50 has plenty of power and is more transparent sounding than the 290. the 290 has its place but the 50/50 is more practical for the average guitarist to own and basically, I find it produces a crisper low end compared to the 290.

In comparison, I'm hearing guys make the 290 sound muddy. You'll hear the occasional triaxis and 290 clip where the guy just abuses the low Eq , adds the Deep function as well and has a completely un-tight guitar sound.

On the other hand, I have found that the guys who get great sounds from their 290 power amps are using preamps like the CAE 3+ , Soldano X88 and are also slaving out of old school Marshall heads and using the290 to accomplish W/D/W systems.

I find the 50/50 to be the perfect stereo efx amp in my W/D/W setup. I use a Mark IV shorthead for the center dry channel and use the slave out to drive the stereo efx which then feed the 50/50. I also have a TriAxis preamp that I use with the 50/50. All in all it's a great sounding, stable, and dependable poweramp. BTW I have no use for something as powerful as a 2:90 or 2:100 as the 50/50 is more then loud enough for me.

I kick myself for not buying a 50/50 sooner. I always thought they were ugly. But they're top notch power amps

Does anyone have the approximate weight of the 50/50 amp? I am not sure if I am going to keep my Triaxis this time around but if I do I will be going with a 20/20 or a 50/50 power amp. I owned the 20/20 before and really liked it but i might want to at least try a 50/50 since it has the half power switch.

Greg

I would have to un rack my 50/50 to weigh it. I can say it's lighter than the 290 for sure and a little heavier than the 20/20.

The half power mode is not much quieter at all than full power. But tonally, half power reduces the lows and if you turn up the master volumes, starts to produce some decent dynamics.

I checked the schematic and the Hi/Lo power switch reduces the voltage coming from the power tranny (kind of like tweed or spongy on some mesa amps).

I think the 20/20 would actually be a bit better since it is 1 space. I already have a Mark IV head if I needed a more powerful amp. Who knows if I will even keep the Triaxis this time around.

Greg

All these answers are about the 50/50...wasn't the original post asking about the 2:Fifty? Isn't that a different animal?

Whoopysnorp said:
All these answers are about the 50/50...wasn't the original post asking about the 2:Fifty? Isn't that a different animal?

Indeed:

50/50:
mesaboogie_5050.gif

2:50
2-Fifty-Front-LG.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what the differences between the 2 are. The 50/50 can switch to low power and the 2:50 cant? I'm assuming both are voiced with the TA? Maybe not the older 50/50's

I played in a band with a guitarist who used a 2:50. He used el34s instead of 6l6s (there is a switch so you can use either). It sounded sweet. I almost wish I bought one instead of the 2:90.

It doesn't have the half/deep/modern voicings like the 2:90. Half as many tubes I believe.

Sounded sweet.

mARKw said:
I played in a band with a guitarist who used a 2:50. He used el34s instead of 6l6s (there is a switch so you can use either). It sounded sweet. I almost wish I bought one instead of the 2:90.

It doesn't have the half/deep/modern voicings like the 2:90. Half as many tubes I believe.

Sounded sweet.

That's what i always thought...i tried the 50/50 with the rect pre, it was too boomy but it should sound just o.k. (i would say awesome!) with the EL34.

Back