Do you clean your nuts?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peace

Reaction score
... just wondering....
I usually see some grime of some kind in each groove when I change strings...
I used a little 3 in 1 oil and a small piece of folded paper and worked it out with a little TLC during my last string change.....

Anyone have particular do's, don't's, tips or tricks about cleaning your nuts?

What???? :?

:lol: good title... i will sometimes clean the nut on my six string (my RG7 being a floater) but now that the nuts busted i don't have to deal with that anymore. now i just have a brand spankin new EMG81 in there thats not getting any use. :?

Yes, it's a good idea to keep the nut clean.. I wouldn't recommend 3 in 1, definitely get nut sauce....
If sweat , dust and other crap builds up, it could make the string not slide smoothly, and make tuning and stability a pain in the ***....
ax. 8)

So, I think I found Nut Sauce online....

Can you buy it in stores or is online the only way?

How long have you guys been using Nut Sauce and have you had any negative experiences if your only purchase option was online?

As for 3 in 1 oil, do you think it could pose some kind of nut problem using 3 in 1 or is it, since you are a Nut Sauce user you see that as clearly a better/safer option?

I had heard that other people used 3 in 1 on saddles and I figured it probably wouldn't be bad in the nut area.... I mean, it seems harmless enough but you would also think furniture polish would be ok for guitar finishes and I hear it's not so I guess it's not impossible that 3 in 1 oil could damage the nut..... I hope not....

So tell me about nut sauce. I read a little about it but I'd rather hear what you guys know about it, what your purchases are like, what you would recommend and all of that stuff....

Thanks

I've used it. It works great. And it stays where you put it. It doesnt run and drip like I imagine 3 in 1 does.

Go ahead and get some. You'll like it.

RB

my nuts dont get to dirty, i guess it all just a question of whos hands there in..............

Ken j said:
I use pencil lead (graphite). This is a tip from a luthier I know.
I've used the same method for many years now. I've read several articles and/or books where well known guitar techs and luthiers alike agree, graphite (pencil lead) is the way to go.

Ken j said:
I use pencil lead (graphite). This is a tip from a luthier I know.

I've used the same method for many years now. I've read several articles and/or books where well known guitar techs and luthiers alike agree, graphite (pencil lead) is the way to go.[/quote]

I used pencil lead in the past - either by coloring the edge of a matchbook or business card, then running the card through the nut slots, or by mixing graphite dust into a tiny spot of vaseline (no smart remarks) and applying that.

I've had much better results with Nut Sauce. I had no problems ordering; in fact, I wound up trading a few mails with the guy and calling him on the phone, and he was pretty cool and responsive. I now use this stuff for every string change, which I do before each performance (I *hate* breaking a string on stage, and haven't now for about 3 years). Works good for me.

I'm probably going to go ahead a place an order.

My strat is in the shop getting a new bone nut installed, fret dress and the regular checkup. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. While I'm there I'll ask the guru what he might advise and if he knows about Nut Sauce, which he probably does, I'll probably place an order this weekend.

Everyone's had good remarks about the sauce.....

Thanks for the replies....

Pencil lead (graphite) is great, but I only used to use it on dark colored nuts, and before nut sauce was around..
But on a strat, white bone nut, I used chapstick..... I'd loosen the string, pull it out of the nut, and apply to the string...That was the old days.
3 In 1 oil may make the glue for the nut dissolve, discolor the nut and fretboard, and get messy, attracting dirt/dust etc.... I think it would hinder more than help... Putting it on a metal saddle wouldn't pose many of those problems though..
Before all these products were available, we did some strange things.. I knew guys that would wipe down their fretboards and strings with WD40, armor all, Noxema(!) etc...All bad ideas.. The products available now illiminate dripping, fretboard cracking and skin ailments, and all the associated results of trial and error...
ax. 8)

I put a new set of saddles on my strat a few days ago and I decided to go with Graph Tech Saddles... All I can say is absolutely amazing increase in sustain and definition in the guitar... They sell nuts as well that never need graphite or nut sauce. I use pencil lead myself. But check out the Graph Tech stuff... amazing difference

everyonce in while i'll just reach down there and give'em some soap

I ended up picking up some Nutsauce......

It's good stuff.. I'd recommend it as well.......

..... nothing really beats a good soaping though....... :lol:

Back