Do we know the origination of the current Mesa power tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking at retubing my Single V1 (so 6L6 only). I am looking at (current production all) JJ, TAD, Winged C, Tung Sol. I also like the idea of getting the Mesa branded ones since they will definitely fall within the correct bias range.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the origination of the current Mesa branded tubes?

thunda1216 said:
STR 440 should be Winged C
Really? That would be surprising to me given their price thru the Boogie website. I mean they are approx $20 cheaper than other places on the net. I would expect Mesa branded ones to be pricier than elsewhere.

I believe STR-440s are equivalent to JJ. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these are Slovakian. They have a round top. Winged Cs have a flat top.
It should be noted that with tubes, like guitar strings, there are only a few actual manufacturers which turn out many different brands. Winged C is a brand. Svetlana (Russia) is the manufacturer.
Read as many reviews as you can. Go to Doug's Tubes, Eurotubes, Tube Depot and the Tube Store.

The STR440s are Chinese, which leads me to believe they are probably Rubies...

The STR454s seem to be Winged Cs, until Mesa discontinued them...

Latest posts

Back