Distortion buzz on the Dual Recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adambomb

Reaction score
No matter what I do I can't get rid of this none musical distortion on my Dual Recto. I love the way the distortion sounds on the DR, but there is this slight buzzing, rattling, or crackling type sound....can't really put it into words.... but it is annoying me. This thin layer of crackling underneath the distortion is not going away no matter what I do. I have changed tubes, serviced the inside of the amp and all.

Could be almost anything, how loud do you play it ? Don't over do the gain, bass or presence controls, keep the masters quite low too. :D

ANIMATED SUSPENSION said:
Could be almost anything, how loud do you play it ? Don't over do the gain, bass or presence controls, keep the masters quite low too. :D

It's there no matter how loud I play and I have cut back on the EQ's. Trust me, I have been working with my DR for months.

Have you tried a different cable?

Different guitar?

Could it be a power issue? Does it happen everywhere you play the amp?

Platypus said:
Have you tried a different cable?

Different guitar?

Could it be a power issue? Does it happen everywhere you play the amp?

I haven't tried different cables or a guitar. I have two cabs though and it does the same. I has thinking maybe a bad cable was the problem too..I hope so.

That is just the character of the Recto Series: huge boomy low end and sizzly high end. The upper harmonics are just different. Some like it, and some don't. EQing can help, but it never really goes away. That's why I sold my Rectoverb and bought a Mark IV. MKIV is smooth as silk, tight, and punchy.

hmm, would you describe it as "fizzy" sounding? It could just be that recto fizz that doesn't dial out. I went Stiletto because of it. But what you're describing sounds like a problem beyond a fizzy tone. Like they said, go through tubes, cables, instruments, speakers, effects (delays out of the loop cause that sound), different outlets. Dirty pots/knobs can be a culprit but you said you already had it serviced.

Could it have to do with biasing/crossover distortion in the power section?

jab said:
hmm, would you describe it as "fizzy" sounding? It could just be that recto fizz that doesn't dial out. I went Stiletto because of it. But what you're describing sounds like a problem beyond a fizzy tone. Like they said, go through tubes, cables, instruments, speakers, effects (delays out of the loop cause that sound), different outlets. Dirty pots/knobs can be a culprit but you said you already had it serviced.

Yea, I think your right about Rectos just sounding fizzy. The only way it sounds GREAT is when you crank the hell out of it.

Try backing off the gain and low end. I like a lot of low end, I usually run my bass controls close to maxed, and I find that if I overdo the gain on any of my amps, I can get them to do a thing where they fizz out, all the high end goes away, and all I hear is a crackle and a muddy fizz when I play a note. As the note rings out and doesn't hit the amp so hard, it will go back to normal, usually quite suddenly. Any amp will do this, it's a function of too much gain and low end. It can be a cool effect, but mostly it's undesirable.

I had the same problem, but changed to JJ ECC83 and 6L6GC tubes and it went away like that. Almost useless (to me anyway) before and great after. Almost night and day difference.

I would highly recommend talking to Bob at Eurotubes.com.

stompboxfreak72 said:
Oh... that fizzy sounding noisy distortion you are hearing ? That's called a Dual Recto.....

How immensely original and extraordinarily helpful... :wink:

To the OP, does the effect happen on all channels, all modes etc?
I know sometimes I get a staticy type buzz on ch 1 pushed with the
gain way up but at way low volumes. Goes away with just a bit
more dbs.

Good luck.

-dave

my single rec sounds just like you descrbe unless I run the output at noon. there seems to be no way around it besides cranking that mother up :evil:

really if you cant get it to that point that signature recto sound is hard to dial in. When you run the tubes really really hot on the recto I find that the EQ becomes a lot less finicky then everone sais. I have to use dummy load and reamping to be able to run the output that high.

daveyboy said:
stompboxfreak72 said:
Oh... that fizzy sounding noisy distortion you are hearing ? That's called a Dual Recto.....

more dbs.

Good luck.

-dave

The fizzy static is only on ch 1 and 2. I think it goes away though when you drive the amp hard.

coppa said:
my single rec sounds just like you descrbe unless I run the output at noon. there seems to be no way around it besides cranking that mother up :evil:

really if you cant get it to that point that signature recto sound is hard to dial in. When you run the tubes really really hot on the recto I find that the EQ becomes a lot less finicky then everone sais. I have to use dummy load and reamping to be able to run the output that high.

Yea your right. Crank the hell out of the master to at least noon and it does go away.

daveyboy said:
stompboxfreak72 said:

more dbs.

Good luck.

-dave

Ok.... you want to kill the fizz without blasting your ears off ?

Get an EQ pedal and stick it in the loop. Chris Mckinley has posted multiple threads about this topic and he knows what he's talking about. Some people do not like the EQ and you may not like it either but it tightens everything up better than an overdrive pedal will for me and I won't play my DR without it ( I use an MXR EQ ).

The DR really needs to be played at a certain volume to get the best sounds out of it but the Eq has made my DR much more enjoyable and usable at lesser volumes.

stompboxfreak72 said:
daveyboy said:
stompboxfreak72 said:

more dbs.

Good luck.

-dave

Ok.... you want to kill the fizz without blasting your ears off ?

Get an EQ pedal and stick it in the loop. Chris Mckinley has posted multiple threads about this topic and he knows what he's talking about. Some people do not like the EQ and you may not like it either but it tightens everything up better than an overdrive pedal will for me and I won't play my DR without it ( I use an MXR EQ ).

The DR really needs to be played at a certain volume to get the best sounds out of it but the Eq has made my DR much more enjoyable and usable at lesser volumes.

Probably true. never tryed it.

The lower I can get the gain and the higher the output the less buzz it seems to have. I ran it at max one day. no need for a gain knob when its running that hot. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back