Discussion: Mark IV vs Dual Rec (owners of both please)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
So it's my yearly "I want to trade my recto for a mark" train of thought and I finally have the means to do so.

What I really want to hear is from people who have owned both or who own both now and can give me some info other than the obvious 'cleans are better, lead is better,' 'tighter focus' type replies. I've played them both and I really like the focus on the Mark IV but I want to make sure I'm not going to be missing anything that they cannot do besides the chugga chug recto sound. I want to know how the simul-class works in practice.

I've gone to lengths to make my DR more tight and more lead focused but in the end I always wonder if I should get a Mark instead.

What would REALLY be sweet is if someone who has both could record the same riff through each one but I know that's pretty unlikely.

So should I sell the DR for a MkIV head? Any comments are welcome!

I may not own a DR but I played one enough to determine that it was the Mark IV that I wanted. If not for the versatility of the Mark IV then for it's tighter sound and more fluid drive. I guess it depends upon the sound you are looking for.

I look at the DR as more of a rhythm amp and the Mark IV as a lead amp if that helps. I know there will be many following to say that both can do both but for what and the way I play their strengths dictate the way I see each amp. I do love the tightness I get in my Mark IV for rhythms because it does that early thrash and speed metal sounding rhythm well though it will never do the heavier/looser chug/thud of the DR. For this, I am probably going to just buy a DR anyway but I will not sell my Mark IV. The Mark IV gives you the classic Mesa sound that can only come from a Boogie. The DR will give you the more modern era Mesa sound.

In any event, just remember that R2 on your Mark IV will suffer if you dial in too good of a clean. The weight of the goodness of the cleans clearly outweighs the goodness of the R2. Because of the amp's sharing of controls between clean and R2 I just do not use R2 as much as I would if it were completely independent. This might also be because I had been a Marshall player for too many years and really love the clean. I use Lead for heavy rhythms and just clean boost the front end if I need a little more to get out front as if a solo boost or third channel.

Make sure that you try out several speaker options too once you get the amp. I have found that I like the Thiele cabinet, then a sealed cabinet, then an open cabinet in that order. I have tried it through a greenback 4x12 and it sounds incredible for leads though I wouldn't suggest cranking it unless you are in triode and tweed mode only because of the wattage handling of the greenbacks probably would not like the abuse of the full power mode. For rhythm playing, I would suggest higher wattage speakers more on the lines of V30s or even EVM-12Ls. The EVM-12L loaded Thiele sounds incredible also for leads but has a different flavor and can handle rhythms better. This is probably the best all around sound for a Mark amp especially when combined with another cabinet either open back or sealed cabinet depending upon the sound you are looking for.

With the amp in triode and tweed mode you can get your Mark IV down to a manageable level for home use. This level of versatility makes it possible to use this as a practice amp. In the manual it says you can further cut the power by using 6V6s. I have yet to try this but it is on the to do list.

As far as how the simulclass works in practice goes, it depends upon what you mean. You can play in simulclass all the time if you want. It will allow you to push your power tubes harder. Though tweed sounds good, if not great, full power does sound better because it sounds fuller, if that makes any sense.

I would not sell your DR for a Mark IV. Just keep it and then save up for the Mark IV. This will give you even more versatility in the long run. There was a reason that you got the DR and you have I am sure come to really like it as well.

Yeah I always come to the same conclusion, thanks for the info.

How will it sound with a 2x12 Mesa cab with vintage 30s?

I second his comment! Definitely keep the DR, and save for a Mark IV! Beautiful combination!

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I second his comment! Definitely keep the DR, and save for a Mark IV! Beautiful combination!

Yeah, I have the means to acquire one outright but I'm trying to diversify and get an amp I've never played before. I was thinking something boutiquey.. I guess owning two Mesa's is cool though, I almost kept the stiletto.

Platypus said:
Yeah I always come to the same conclusion, thanks for the info.

How will it sound with a 2x12 Mesa cab with vintage 30s?

I had a wide body combo, alone a real tone machine but linked to
a Recto 2x12 cab(or an older 4x12 metal grill half back) and cranked a bit
you'll find a match+.
I ended up selling the IV and going all rack mount (Triaxis/295amp, 2channel D.R. racktifier). Still getting my MKII,IV tone from the Triaxis and big D.R. Phat bottom.
Ask around about the E.Q settings when you get a IV.
The magic with that amp/2x12 or 4x12 and hitting the sliders just right will make your neck hair stand on end.

the IV is an amazing amp... the combo does need a 2 x 12 or 4 x 12 cabinet though. and a good digital reverb/delay unit in the loop.

I tried the DR before buying the MKIV and I chose the Mk because of the smooth lead sound. The DR was grainy compared to the MK. But if I could I'd A/B them and use the DR for chunky rhytm and the MKIV for the solos.

Latest posts

Back