Disconnect the fan?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natman

Reaction score
Hi all, I was just wondering what would happen if you take the fan out of a Mesa which uses one (like Blue Angel)?

Thanks!

It gets hot :).

Probably dangerously so, since you wouldn't think they would bother fitting one otherwise. (They cost money.)

My Tremoverb also gets close to dangerously hot without a fan (as stock). So much so that I took some measurements, and found an internal air temperature of 185ºF after two hours - and not convinced it had stopped rising at that point either. That's really too hot - it's at the rated temperature of electrolytic caps and will definitely shorten their life expectancy if it gets to that or more. I may fit one.

So if Mesa found it necessary to fit a fan to the Blue Angel, it probably needs one. I never disconnected it on mine to find out, the noise wasn't noticeable at above bedroom volume anyway.

94Tremoverb said:
It gets hot :).

Probably dangerously so, since you wouldn't think they would bother fitting one otherwise. (They cost money.)

My Tremoverb also gets close to dangerously hot without a fan (as stock). So much so that I took some measurements, and found an internal air temperature of 185ºF after two hours - and not convinced it had stopped rising at that point either. That's really too hot - it's at the rated temperature of electrolytic caps and will definitely shorten their life expectancy if it gets to that or more. I may fit one.

So if Mesa found it necessary to fit a fan to the Blue Angel, it probably needs one. I never disconnected it on mine to find out, the noise wasn't noticeable at above bedroom volume anyway.
+1. I would not remove it, especially in an amp where the tubes hang "upside-down" below the chassis a la Marks. If you have a noisey fan, it can be replaced with a quieter one. The Globe fan in my Mark IV whispers.

Latest posts

Back