Diode or Recto Tracking. Someone Help Me out Here.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Warner

Reaction score
Ok, I'm appealling to those of you who may have experimented a little more with these settings or have a better ear for what to listen for.

When do you typically use one or the other and what is it your trying to achieve with these extra settings. I'm not necessarilly talking about the definition of the two from the manual but how they might apply to certain tones you're trying to achieve.

I've got a Roadster Combo but I dont think this feature is limited to only the roadster. I have my channels set up the way I pretty much need/like them...

Ch 1: Fat Clean (100w, Recto tracking)
Ch 2: Brit Mode Crunch (50w, Recto Tracking)
Ch 3: Vintage Mode Recto (100w, Recto Tracking)
Ch 4: Modern Mode Recto (100w, Diode)

I also use a Tube Screamer and a Boss SD-1 (depending on what tone I'm going for) out front for a little boost. I also run on the spongy mode.

I've played a little bit with the diode/recto tracking settings but the difference seems to be suptle and I'm not sure that I'm listening for the difference that is intended.

I play in a cover band and we play anything from AC/DC to Green Day, Nickelback, Foo Fighters, etc. Would using one or the other of these settings (diode/recto tracking) help get me closer to some of these particular tones?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

ahhh well you see you have listed a wide range of artists.Basically a diode setting rectifies the channel more like a solid state amp but keeps the integrity of the pre and power amps tube sound.This also increases the head room of your amp which is great for cleans,The tube rectification means you have to kinda crank the amp so that the rec. tubes are burning nicely.I would set my roadster up as follows
Ch.1-Clean(100w-diode),for the headroom
Ch.2-Crunch(50w,Rectifier tubes),for nice brit breakup
Ch.3-Vintage Mode(100w-diode),nice powerful med.gain with headroom
Ch.4-Modern(100w-diode),hahahaha,serious crushing gain!!!!!
For channel 2and3 I would say its more on your tone controls characteristics than what rectification.The tubes for rectification on Ch.2 should get you close to those Brit sounds.and Ch.3,diode should give you that ans then some plus great headroom

Hope this has helped you.This is just my opinion onwhat you should try.
Enjoy

Without having the luxury of per-channel rectifier assignment, I tend to use (when recording) silicon diode for tight hi-gain rhythm, and tube-rec for cleans and soloing. Live, I use 5AR4/GZ34 type rectifier tubes and leave it in tube-rec all the time. ('01 3-ch Triple)

Back