DiMarzio Steve's Special

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdesalvo

Reaction score
Well, the **** pickup bug has bitten me again and curiosity is getting the better of me. Have any of you tried this pickup? I understand the mids are a bit less predominent in this one, but with midrange-laden amps such as our Boogies, I can't see this counting against our ability to cut through.

Comments?

I have it on one of my guitars in bridge position (refer to image). Works like a charm. Body is one piece mahogany with a half inch quilted maple. Suffice it to say, the neck pickup is Air Norton. I can split both pickups coils and also kick in 'out of phase' mode. Plethora of sounds. BTW it all goes through the Nomad 55/12 combo.

NC1.gif

In case you wanna check the gui-tahs I have in mind they live here:
www.scalaguitars.com

Please, please, post some more pics of that guitar! And of others like it....
I couldn't get that link...
That's one awesome guit-fiddle!
ax. :twisted:

i love this pickup :)

it sounds a bit modern tho, i had to get used to it. it's not that phatass 80's electric guitar sound (TZ; PAF PRO; ..)
it sounds great tho, it really deosnt smear any of chords together, the leads are ''watery'' articulate,. i dunno, i prefer this pickup over TZ's and Paf PRO's

Just occured to me :roll:
Petrucci used it on his Ibanez JPMs for years, before switching to MM/EB.

P.S. The link is working now. www.scalaguitars.com

i also have Blaze II on my sevenstring... its a bit differently voiced tho :)

i think petrucci's new pickups are more or less similar to SS and AN. perhaps. :D

Steve Special is ok. I found it to be a bit dark. I do like the scooped mids idea. However I have found a few gems I'll pass along.

1) Duncan - Parallel Axis Trembuckers for floyd equipped guitars
a)PATB2 Distortion. Killer for down tuned chunk
b)PATB3 Blues Saraceno - It's like putting a tweaked LP into an Ibanez. Spanking for shred

For Set or Neck thru
1) Duncan - Custom 5. If you like the qualities of the wood translating through the amp with a bit of kick, This is the one!

2) Bill Lawrence - L500XL Get it from Bill himself. Not from Stu Mac. Stu sells a knock off p/u that stinks. It takes the old man about 5 weeks to get you the goods but when you hit that 1st chord...it's well worth the wait. Yuo can get 2 buckers for $107. Can't beat that.

For Neck p/u's
1) Dimarzio - Tone Zone. I know some of you are thinking that's for the Bridge dude. Try it in the neck man! Think Santana.

2) Dimarzio - Norton. Similar to the ToneZone w/o the bottom end.
Don't waste your cash on the "AiR" stuff. I wasn't impressed.

Single Coils--

Most Dimarzio's just kick *** for the single coils. I think they've nailed the single technology! The only two I didn't like was the Fast track 2 (too muddy on the low E, F and F#) and the HS-3...I don't know why this p/u has the reputation for being a hot p/u? Just because Yngwie uses it? It SUCKS!!!!

Just my .02

noodles said:
axwielding1 said:
Please, please, post some more pics of that guitar! And of others like it....
I couldn't get that link...

The pic you are supposed to click on in the link doesn't work. I viewed the source and found the link: http://www.scalaguitars.com/main.htm

It works, but you have to click the Scala logo area on the guitar peghead, duh (it says right there).

Back