Digital versus Analog delay

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cragginshred

Reaction score
What are the thoughts out there regarding digital delays adding to the potential harsh tones that can occur with the stiletto's particular voicing? I have had the Keely moded DD3 (sold it) as well as currently running the TC nova system, which I dig, however, turning off the delay and verb it immediately warmed up my signal. So, I bought a memory man today and will see how that fairs once it gets here. The interesting thing is in certain settings the TC works well using a digital dual delay setting- with my Music man JP axe and my Carvin V3 - great blend, however, with the strats (AT Dimarzio hum in bridge, cruiser in the neck) in to the Stiletto with the TC digital effects,... well this combination does not blend as well,.. thus I am led to believe the memory man deluxe will jive better with the stiletto and strats mojo.

How are you running the Nova? Thru the loop, or in front?

If thru the loop, make sure you have the Send Level control set properly to jive with the input gain levels of the Nova. That might help.

FWIW, I also owned a Nova System and sold it. To my ears it sounded too sterile, not organic like analog. I used a Carbon Copy for a while, then went to a Line 6 M9. Most of the fx sound great, and it plays well and fits with the other fx on my board. It's easy to dial in too. It's all subjective, and no I don't work for L6.

Good luck in your efforts.

My Eventide Timefactor does not reproduce harsh tones on my Stiletto Deuce II. Works great to me...

Surprisingly, the Boss DD7 is a very, very good digital delay pedal. Set right, the analog mode on it also seems very authentic. Try it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvda3RVczhg

I prefer digital delay over analog usually. I like the crisp (pristine) repeats it offers when using gain. My Nova Delay allows me to mix in a little analog and tape delay 'coloring' which sounds great for clean tones.

cragginshred said:
What are the thoughts out there regarding digital delays adding to the potential harsh tones that can occur with the stiletto's particular voicing? I have had the Keely moded DD3 (sold it) as well as currently running the TC nova system, which I dig, however, turning off the delay and verb it immediately warmed up my signal. So, I bought a memory man today and will see how that fairs once it gets here. The interesting thing is in certain settings the TC works well using a digital dual delay setting- with my Music man JP axe and my Carvin V3 - great blend, however, with the strats (AT Dimarzio hum in bridge, cruiser in the neck) in to the Stiletto with the TC digital effects,... well this combination does not blend as well,.. thus I am led to believe the memory man deluxe will jive better with the stiletto and strats mojo.

Most digital delays won't ADD harshness (unless they're of low quality), but if your amp is harsh sounding, you'll hear it more. Analog delay rolls off highs with the repeats. With a Strat and a Stiletto, you may find that this is more desirable than hearing uncolored repeats.

Latest posts

Back