difrences between the difrent power amps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recto preo

Reaction score
Hi,im thinking aobut getting apower amp for my recto preamp.

just wondering what are the advantages between the 20/20 ,50/50 and the recto 2:100. i dont have money to buy the recto 2;100 so please tell me why the recto 2:100 is bette rthan the 20/20 and the 50/50.......thanks
:D :D :D

Hi,

In my opinion the greatest differences are in headroom. the higher wattage poweramp breathmore. I had different poweramps an always thought they where too loud. so dont buy a 20-20 because of the low wattage because you think the others will be to loud.

Higher wattage amps sound different and breath more. thats what i found out and thats why I'm going back to a high wattage poweramp.

anyone any other thoughts about this?

yes I have another idea, for example the kind of tube used in each amp. For example the el84 are more classical, more sweet, and have a british sound with great middles. The 6l6 and the el34 have more punch, more agressive and the 6l6 has the american sound. There are several differences between 6l6 and el34, it will maybe a great topic to discuss.
In my case I use the 20/20 because I like the classical british sound

I love 20/20 sound and its loud as ****! Tried my Ta with 2:90 several times include today, still couldn't find anything I like about 2:90's feature.

2:100 amazed me include its Modern feature, so nice that I can utilize TA's LD1Red more. :p

I prefer the 50/50 myself because it's switchable from 15 to 50 watts per channel with the flip of the Hi/Lo power switch. 100 total watts is plenty loud enough for any venue I'm going to play in, and with the ability to switch it down to 15 watts per channel it's much easier to get a great overdriven tube sound (without making your ears bleed) then if your using a high power amp.

I find the differences are most noticeable in the impact of the low end, with the higher wattage allowing for a more gut-busting punch. If you want a more visceral "thunk" to your playing, go for the higher wattage.

The 20/20 is what I use now, and it is very loud! I prefer it because I can actually crank it enough to get the power section breaking up a bit. This creates a naturally dynamic compression. The low end is still there, but I know it isn't as pummeling as my 2:90 used to be. Of course, speaker cabs can take this potential in different directions (closed 4x12 more solid in lows than open 1x12, for example).

- T

I have a 50/50, tried the 2:90 and have and use the 2:100 all the time. The 2:100 is more agressive and more toneful IMHO. I also had a Marshall 9200. The Recto 2:100 blows them all away. For some reason the Recto Pre and Recto 2:100 sounds better than a Dual Rectifier head especially when used with FX units, similar but better. Again this is my opinion, not gospel. I suggest you go to a dealer and try the 20/20, 50/50 and 2:90 and 2:100, I think you will find that with the Recto Pre you will definitely find the 2:100 is clearly the winner and worth the extra bucks.

Mark
www.thesamhillband.com

LIFTOFFrig.JPG

I agree with Samhill.

I use a Triaxis, Recto Pre and Studio Pre through a 2:100.

I was also fortunate enough to be able to test drive the differenet Power Amp sections before settling on one... because, quite frankly, I found the 2:100 to be a little intimidating and way more than I needed. I'm not a 'volume' player at all.

In the end , I did settle on the 2:100 because of the depth of tone and enormous headroom for clean sounds. If I could, I'd own both a 2:90 and a 2:100... so the Triaxis and Recto Pre can both have equal matches. The 2:100, even without the Deep and Half switches compliment the Tri very well.

Latest posts

Back