Different Tube Types

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satch4u3

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My first post here on the board! I just recently picked up an Eletra Dyne head and I am running it on a Mesa 212 Recto Cab. This amp realy does shine at high volumes! I think someone put it best when they described it's tone as being "Plexi-like".

Question about tube types. Has anyone here tried JJ KT77's or Tung-Sol EL34B's? Before this amp I was using a Marshall JVM410h, so I am finidng the tones from 6L6's to be a little to round and a little dark for me at the moment. Just wondering if anyone has experimented with these tube types and are they safe to try.

Thanks,

Joe

I've tried out the Tung-Sol EL-34B's. It just really depends what sound you are wanting to go for. If you are looking to achieve more vintage rock tones where you really want to hit the Power Tube section Tung-Sol's are great. I will warn you, your cleans will take a bit of a hit... I didn't think it would be as drastic as it was, the cleans are still great in comparison to other amps, especially other Mesas. However they are no where near as full sounding as the 6L6's. I use my Dyne to achieve more aggressive higher gain tones so I found the 6L6's to serve my purposes better despite what I originally thought. Again, one is not necessarily better than the other, it's just what you want to get out of your Dyne. I'm looking to try out other 6L6's, any suggestions for "gainyer" tones?

Latest posts

Back