Different Settings to play at home and play with the band ??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metallicaseeker

Reaction score
Hello!
I have a Mark V and a doubt(of course heheheh)...
I saw and tested all the tone settings that i could on the "OFFICIAL MARK V TONE SETTINGS THREAD", and could see that the major of the players setup their marks V using the "V" shape and Mids Zero, no mids on the EQ...here at home, i found that setting amazing playing alone, but when i was playing with my band i could not hear me very well, just the other guitar player, and the sound changed a lot when put everyting together...what should i do ? Can you post your settings to play with your bands? Thank you very much!!

This is normal. What sounds good solo doesn't always work with a band or in a mix.

Quick tips:
1. More mids. Scooping can sound cool on its own, but it gets you lost in the mix. The guitar is midrange instrument and needs mids to be heard. So, turn up the 750 slider on the GEQ while jamming until you get just the right sound.
2. Less gain. At louder volumes, you'll want less gain than at lower volumes. So, turn the gain and treble (which adds gain) down.
3. Subtler reverb and delay. On their own, they sound great, but they can get you lost in a mix.

If you turn the "V" into a "W" you can make it so it still sounds scooped even though it still has plenty of midrange.

80hz - full up
240 - centre line
750 - somewhere above the centre line (adjust to taste)
2200- centre line
6600 - Halfway up

Use the above as a starting point and fiddle from there. Might sound a bit off on it's own but it should sit better in the mix.

The "W" geq always works for me even for Metallica covers. My other guitar player has to crank his amp to be heard with mine because it stands out so well.

ryjan said:
The "W" geq always works for me even for Metallica covers. My other guitar player has to crank his amp to be heard with mine because it stands out so well.

Tha W is really great, but anyone knows how can i get a Diezel VH4 Hetfield new tone on my mark V, one that looks like , do not need to be equal, very chunky and punchy...if it's possible...

Metallicaseeker said:
ryjan said:

Tha W is really great, but anyone knows how can i get a Diezel VH4 Hetfield new tone on my mark V, one that looks like , do not need to be equal, very chunky and punchy...if it's possible...

Yeah, so far as I know it's not a Diezel. It's a Mark IV and Recto side by side.... only done via two Triaxis and not the actual heads. I think he also mixes speakers... V30s for punch and G12T-75s for bottom end chunk and sizzle (no idea what preamp is routed into what speakers).

Try the Petrucci knob settings in Mark 2C mode with the gain dimed and the sliders off. That will cut through just about any mix.

screamingdaisy said:
Metallicaseeker said:
ryjan said:

Yeah, so far as I know it's not a Diezel. It's a Mark IV and Recto side by side.... only done via two Triaxis and not the actual heads. I think he also mixes speakers... V30s for punch and G12T-75s for bottom end chunk and sizzle (no idea what preamp is routed into what speakers).

No, i'm sure that he uses now a Diezel VH4
jamesrigangleb.jpg
. The VH4 has 4 chanels, he used the 3rd to do the riffs on the new album...If any one find that sound on Mark V, please let me know!

First set up your amp till it sounds good to you. Next you will need to aquire Hetfield's right hand followed by his left. There's your Metallica live sound.

ryjan said:
First set up your amp till it sounds good to you. Next you will need to aquire Hetfield's right hand followed by his left. There's your Metallica live sound.

Very good answer hehehehe, but i need that tone, the ability i'll get some day in my entire life...i hope hehehehhe

img1319h.jpg

...try this! (Pentode/Full Power)

Sounds w/ a MKV w/ 4x12 Mesa Recto (V30) similar to a Diezel VH4 w/ Diezel 4x12 (G12K100) cab.

Metallicaseeker said:
ryjan said:

Very good answer hehehehe, but i need that tone, the ability i'll get some day in my entire life...i hope hehehehhe
Seriously, his sound is 98% in his hands. I've heard clips of him playing his Diezel, a Triple Recto, and a Blackstar all through different guitars and everytime it sounds like him.

Latest posts

Back