different dc-5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanike

Reaction score
i wonder, what are the differences between these 2 versions of DC-5?!?

mesavornph5.jpg

and

dsc00070xm1nq1.jpg

ones got metal toggles like the MKIII's and one has plastic rockers like the MKIV...I know, but that's what I'm here for.

i've heard rumours that some models od calibers (including dc-5) have older, mk3-like preamp and the newer ones have recto-like preamp. does abybody know for sure?

There is a thread here somewhere about the different DC-5 versions, couldn't find it though. If my mind serves me right the one with metal-toggles was the laters version of the amp before it was discontinued.

I got it straight from a Mesa tech that the non-LED versions are the 2nd iteration DC5, and have slightly more clean headroom. This, however, doesn't help you much since both your shots show channel LEDs on the panel. My guess is that they were going through the transition toward plastic rocker switches (as the later DC5s had the plastic ones; 1st generation had the metal toggles).

Edward

The upper picture with the plastic switches shows the first version (note the old M/B plate). It probably was around in 1994 only.
The amp on the lower picture is like an in-between version. I don't know if there are any changes besides cosmetic ones. (1995 to X)
Then there is the 2nd version which has a different kind of toggle for the channels (3-way) and EQ/Reverb. (don't know when it was introduced)

Take a look at: http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/dcsers.html
There are two different footswitches for an "old" and "new" version.
"Original DC amplifiers have a two position toggle switch on the front panel that provides manual switching from Rhythm to Lead. These models also feature a five position rotary switch on the rear panel for manual EQ selection. Later model DC's have a three positon toggle switch on the front panel which is labeled(top down): Rhythm - Lead - Lead/EQ. These models feature a two positon toggle switch on the rear panel for EQ channel assignment."

Being a DC-5 user myself (I own the one I called the in-between model) I'd be interested for information from Mesa/Boogie themselves. If anyone in the U.S. would contact the domestic support, let me know your findings :)

PS: Here's the newer model: http://fr.audiofanzine.com/img/produits/normal/3/3/33590.jpg

edward said:
I got it straight from a Mesa tech that the non-LED versions are the 2nd iteration DC5, and have slightly more clean headroom. This, however, doesn't help you much since both your shots show channel LEDs on the panel. My guess is that they were going through the transition toward plastic rocker switches (as the later DC5s had the plastic ones; 1st generation had the metal toggles).

are you saying that DC on the first picture is actually "younger" that the other one?
i'm not shure why, but i've always though it was the other way around...

>to be honest, i'm far more interested in the differences in overall sound than visual/control elements...
is there any hearable difference between the 1st DC generation ane the other gens?
what about that pre-amp rumour?

tetsubin said:
The upper picture with the plastic switches shows the first version (note the old M/B plate). It probably was around in 1994 only.
The amp on the lower picture is like an in-between version. I don't know if there are any changes besides cosmetic ones. (1995 to X)
Then there is the 2nd version which has a different kind of toggle for the channels (3-way) and EQ/Reverb. (don't know when it was introduced)

Take a look at: http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/dcsers.html
There are two different footswitches for an "old" and "new" version.
"Original DC amplifiers have a two position toggle switch on the front panel that provides manual switching from Rhythm to Lead. These models also feature a five position rotary switch on the rear panel for manual EQ selection. Later model DC's have a three positon toggle switch on the front panel which is labeled(top down): Rhythm - Lead - Lead/EQ. These models feature a two positon toggle switch on the rear panel for EQ channel assignment."

Being a DC-5 user myself (I own the one I called the in-between model) I'd be interested for information from Mesa/Boogie themselves. If anyone in the U.S. would contact the domestic support, let me know your findings :)

PS: Here's the newer model: http://fr.audiofanzine.com/img/produits/normal/3/3/33590.jpg

are we talking only about layout differencies, or is there more to it?

shanike said:

At my parent's house I have some documents which show the mod done between the old and new version. If I remember correctly it's a photocopy of a handwritten note by some M/B technician. I will try to get this note, but I remember it was only a minor modification, nothing soundwise. They gave out the note with wiring instructions so you could do it yourself or get it done, I think.
It was something like the reverb getting cut off or a popping sound when switching channels. Nothing which couldn't be easily fixed if you'd get a model with that problem.

PS: In the end, if you really want to know what was changed you have to call the U.S. Support. If you do, let me know.

tetsubin said:
shanike said:

At my parent's house I have some documents which show the mod done between the old and new version. If I remember correctly it's a photocopy of a handwritten note by some M/B technician. I will try to get this note, but I remember it was only a minor modification, nothing soundwise. They gave out the note with wiring instructions so you could do it yourself or get it done, I think.
It was something like the reverb getting cut off or a popping sound when switching channels. Nothing which couldn't be easily fixed if you'd get a model with that problem.

PS: In the end, if you really want to know what was changed you have to call the U.S. Support. If you do, let me know.

well, it's at least possible. my friend owns so called "in-between" version and that reverb popping when changing channel is still there. but that is definitely a minor thing.
why i have started this thread is that i'm thinking about buying the DC on the first picture. second picture shows my friend's DC, so i already know how does that DC version sound, and was curious if (probably) mine is gonna sound similar.
anyway, still good chance to collect as much info about different versions as possible, isn't it?

I own the in-between model, too. But I bought it used and it came modded with an extra footswitch plug (formerly the 2nd 4 Ohm Speaker jack) for activating the boost in the clean channel. So they might have modded more as well.
My amp only makes a quiet pop when switching from lead to clean, but that's in the normal range for relais-type switching. The reverb doesn't get cut off from one channel to the other.

I would say: If you like the DC, go for it. There should be no major changes. And the minor ones could be easily made if something bugs you. It's a Mesa/Boogie amp, these things are made to last forever. Bring it to a good tech and he'll mod whatever you want.

I own the latest version as pictured in the link. These have the LEDs on the pedal. You can switch between channels and switch the EQ in and out from the pedal. There is absolutely no popping when channel switching, EQ switching, or from the reverb. The ground switch was eliminated on this version. I think I bought it around '97.

Back