differences betwwen Mesa/boogie Roadster and Road King II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi.

This is a question that seems to be asked very often, so you may be better off using the search function to look up some of the previous discussion threads. There is a LOT of great info in those threads and on Mesa's website.

In short, the Roadster lacks the Progressive Linkage, Cabinet Switching, and Power tube switching options that are featured on the RoadKing.

And the Road King 2 had two FX loops as opposed to one on the Roadster. Have a look at both on the Mesa site.

Ciao ...

Roadster
Roadster has the Roadking Preamp section, same four channels same modes etc.. The output section is where these two amps vary. The roadster you can use either 6L6's or EL34's, but cant use them both at the same time. Has one series Effects loop and the ability to switch between 50 watts and 100 watts per channel.

Roadking
All the options of the roadster, with the following added options. This amp has 4 6L6's and 2 EL34's, you can assign how many tubes you want per channel, this is known as progressive linkage, here is the breakdown.

Two 6l6's
four 6l6's
four 6l6's plus two EL34's
two 6l6's and two EL34's
two EL34's.

On the original Roadking there is a pentode/triode swith for the EL34's, they left this swith off the Roadking II.

The roadking you can run up to two seperate cabs and assign a channel to a particular cab, or both cabs combined.

The Roadking also has two loops, on the RoadKing version 1 they had one series and one parallel.

Roadking version II there are two series loops. There is also two varitions of the roadking II, the roadking IIv1 has the external switch activated by the foot control like on version I of the roadking. On Roadking IIv2 the external switch was replaced by a tuner out switch.

I have the Road King II V2. Anyone have any comments on the Triode/Pentode Switch? I'm just curiouse as I love the channel 2 in 2 EL34 mode cranked up. Sounds alot like a Billy Gibbons tone.

This question does come up a lot. In my Road King II review, we detail the differences between all versions of the Road King and Roadster:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0906_MesaBoogieRoadKing.php

Scott

I'm lazy ... -er rather I'm scared to look, what's the price difference between the two?

Here's one similarity between the two: Both are lousy for leads unless the volume is blistering and you're running a 4x12 cabinet.

gearHead said:
Here's one similarity between the two: Both are lousy for leads unless the volume is blistering and you're running a 4x12 cabinet.

Actually, the RK II sounds fantastic with a Marshall 1936a 2x12. It does need some decent volume, but not significantly different compared with any other good tube amp.

gearHead said:

+1, The main reason why I sold mine. A better lead tone can be had out of Channel 2 Brit Mode IMO

gearHead said:

Couldn't be further from the truth IMO. The Road King II setup and used properly, especially with the RK cabinet, is one of the best and most versatile amps ever built for lead. Though it's honest, not candy-coated like some other amps.

Lee Ritenour, for example, could certainly afford a Dumble but instead uses a Road King (2 actually). But of course there are going to be people who just can't deal with them for whatever reasons.

What is it with you guys? The question had nothing whatsoever to do with what you said. What exactly is bothering you?

As always I'll start by.... IMHO........

Nothing is bothering me, but after owning this amp alongside my Mark IV I just could not justify having a RK because the Mark IV just blows the RK away in terms of lead voicing... The only way I got my RK to sound good for leads was either Ch. 2 Brit mode or Ch. 3 Vintage mode with the volume CRANKED AND the use of heavy reverb with a tad sprinkling of chorus. Trust me, I know Mesa amps and have put many hours into the RK trying to get it just right and at the end of the day I could never set it up for my liking in a live environment. The Mark IV, although complex in itself, is just voiced perfectly to cut through the mix as long as the Bass is no higher than a 3-4 on any given channel.

And people can say this so and so famous person uses this amp etc., but remember when people are making records in a studio you can take any amp and mix it so it sticks out. For us gigging people when it's time to take a solo and cut through the mix you need major mid-power to be heard. I think that's the downfall of the RK- it ain't got that mid-range punch that the Mark IV just naturally has by default.

gearHead said:
For us gigging people when it's time to take a solo and cut through the mix you need major mid-power to be heard. I think that's the downfall of the RK- it ain't got that mid-range punch that the Mark IV just naturally has by default.

I can definitely agree with that. But for me it's not a downside because the use of a good outboard EQ greatly increases the flexibility of any amp and much further opens up tonal possibilities. I wouldn't be without one and can scrap every other pedal or effect under the sun.

I agree with the EQ comment, but for an amp that costs $2499 I would hope that it can cover both rhythm and leads with ease without the use of any other enhancements.

gearHead said:
I agree with the EQ comment, but for an amp that costs $2499 I would hope that it can cover both rhythm and leads with ease without the use of any other enhancements.

It does. It's one of the best sounding amps money can buy. And if you aren't into the pure recto tone, flip the sag switch and transform the amp into a completely different machine.

:)

I think that my Road King Kills at lead, I am using an EQ pedal but it sounds better than any Amp I have ever played before. I have no desire to even use FX at the moment because I like it so much. Granted I will be Getting a G-Major soon but it will be using the Recording Output and going to another amp all together, imagine them possibility.

Chanel 3 om my RKII is one of the best lead tones I have ever heard going through closed back boogie/vintage 30's. What are you guys doing wrong?

Latest posts

Back