Difference between a single and a dual recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prometheus

Reaction score
howdy all,

i was just wonderin about the differences between the 2 i played the ROV again when i was in town but i got to thinking that store had 2 dual recs (used) heads for 800 bucks a piece. i didnt plug into them cuz they didnt look like they were hooked up to any cabs. but now im home and im thinking maybe i made a mistake. oh BTW i tried that MK IV again and its got some probs it wont drive a stack and when i roll down the volume i can hear some vibrating noise + i as much as i like to tweek and amp to get diff tones all them knobs switches push this pull seems a little intimidating and seems it would be a PITA to mess with. any comments welcome since i am very new to mesa products.

Single Rectifier
* 50 wts
* solid state rectifier (no rectifier tubes)

Dual Rectifier
* 100wts
* the choice of solid state or tube rectifier (tubes give it more of a "sag" feel)

Other than that, they are pretty much the same. I'd rather have the Dual recto due to the more sound options (tube rectifier). The 50wt vs 100wt isn't so much a volume issue as it is a headroom issue, 100wts is only 3 to 5 db louder than a 50wt amp but the 50 wt amp will get in to power tube saturation sooner.... Both amps are loud as hell!! But if you want, you can alway pull 2 power tubes and a rectifier tube in the Dual recto and run it at 50 wts as well.

I think that's it, did I miss anything?

Thanks guys,

Ill have to plug into those heads next time i am in town. it sucks having "the sound" in your head and not being able to find it. i am gettin closer though :D

prometheus said:
howdy all,

i was just wonderin about the differences between the 2 i played the ROV again when i was in town but i got to thinking that store had 2 dual recs (used) heads for 800 bucks a piece. i didnt plug into them cuz they didnt look like they were hooked up to any cabs. but now im home and im thinking maybe i made a mistake. oh BTW i tried that MK IV again and its got some probs it wont drive a stack and when i roll down the volume i can hear some vibrating noise + i as much as i like to tweek and amp to get diff tones all them knobs switches push this pull seems a little intimidating and seems it would be a PITA to mess with. any comments welcome since i am very new to mesa products.

$800 for a dual rec is a **** good deal if they work fine, You could easily turn around and sell them for $1000 each on ebay if they are the 2 channel and at least $1100 each if they are the 3 channel.

Latest posts

Back