Didn't like the Stiletto II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
Just got back from trying the new Deuce and was very disapointed. The amp was very harsh with a ton of highs and harsh compressed sounding mids. The clean channel was ok. I tried an old version (Trident model 150 watts) and it sounded a little warmer with less compresion. The stiletto amp sounded very solid state with real harsh highs and real compressed mids. I wanted to love this amp, being a marshall guy, but i couldn't. Still this was in a store for only about an hour, so it isn't really fair to the amp. I also tried an old version Roadking which I liked a lot more, but still the cleans were ok and the crunch was good and the recto stuff was fun. In the end for now my Lonestar head is a lot better for me. I'm still waiting to check out a Roadster. Again this was in a store for an hour so it really takes a lot more to really see what an amp can do.

What speaker(s) and cab were you using? The speakers & cab make a big difference. Try a closed back 2x12 or 4x12 with V30 and you will get a warmer, less harsh sound compared to most open backs.

The Stiletto really needs a nice tight closed 4x12 to sound like it was meant to... in addition to this, you need to use the output control like an attenuator to get the good breakup at reasonable volumes. This amp in particular sounds WAY different and has a lot more variables than most Boogies but it's a great amp.

Having played both I think the Stiletto series I sounded better.. they made the second channel way too heavy on the series II.

I played it through the Mesa closed back 2x12. I can hear the treble channel of the Plexi in some of those highs. The problem is on my Plexi I took the bright cap off the treble channel and I can also jump the channels on a plexi, to off set the highs of the treble channel. Still some of the sounds were a wow! at first, but I couldn't get past the mids and the tough highs. I think for diferent styles it may be a killer amp. I'm starting to think I'm more a blues kind of guy. The most I need is ACDC crunch. I was totally bummed about the amp. I drove almost an hour one way to check it out. The good thing is I still have the Lonestar and it works real well, for me. I have an out door gig Saturday, which will be a great test for the LS. I really think I will love the roadster, if i ever find one. I just want to make sure the LS is the one before my 30 days are up. I can't spend this type of money, and make a mistake. Thanks for the info.

Went back and loved it. I brought my guitar this time and it made all the difference. I was there to check out the roadster(which i didn't like) and i figured i might as well give the Stiletto another shoot. I played the triden series 1 head and loved it. I can get a series 1 new trident head for $1000. i have to decide by tomorrow or lose it.

Man, it's hard to beat the Lone Star for blues and classic rock tones. I recently went on a hunt for a new amp. I was looking for something that to me would blow away the Lone Star. I tested amps from Bogner, Bad Cat, Dr. Z., Orange, and Fuchs. And although all of those amps sound phenomenal and have their own special qualities, I was not moved to purchase any of them. In the end, I guess I am just totally satisfied with the Lone Star. To me the Lone Star is at the same level as all of those other high-end boutique amps.

I totally agree, the LS is a special amp. I have other amps that cover what the LS does, so I like to get something different. I'm really thinking MKIV. If I ever have enough money I'd like to get a LS again, killer amp IMHO.

Back