Did I Buy The Right Amp ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherrill

Reaction score
I purchased the V combo a few weeks ago, I have not had a Boogie since a MKI in 1980. So far I have obtained a good clean tone on chnl 1 that is better than my 65 Twin Reverb reissue and not quite as good as my original BF Super Reverb, but I'm happy with the clean. I have also found a couple of heavy to extreme distortion settings on chnl 3 that I am happy with. My problem is I am having difficulty dialing in "southern rock" type sounds like ZZ or Skynard. I usually use my 78 Marshall 2203 I bought new (revealed my age) for those sounds and boost its front end at smaller venues.

I hate to sound lazy but I have not been able to find the sound yet searching the "Tones thread" or turning knobs so I would like to ask you for a little help here for a V newbie. Once I nail the southern rock sound I'll be ready to use it at gigs.

FYI, I use a Gibson 63 dot reissue and a '98 Tele with Fralins for my cleans and a 73 LP Custom I bought new (just revealed my age again) for my heavier sounds. I don't want to use any OD/distortion pedals on the V and so far I don't think I will need to. Of course I have used the Marshall's cab to get closer but I don't want to lug that around.

By the way this is a great forum, in reading posts I have found everybody seems friendly, responsive, and helpful (not to mention good taste in amplification). My best to you all and I hope with some experience I can contribute in the future.

Congrats on the amp. I think you will find your southern rock sound on channel two with the crunch mode. I recommend using the 90 watt setting in all three channels.

Try edge;

Gain 9:00 to 12:00
Treb 9:00 to 11:00
Mids 1:00 to 2:00
Bass 2:00 to 3:00
Pres 10:00 to 2:00

90w or 45w-diode for a more Plexi type response
45w-tube for a more JTM type response

I would say EDGE in CH2 is what you are looking for. CRUNCH and MARK I have too much gain for what your talking about. Sure you can turn the gain down on CRUNCH, but I dont think thats the sound you are looking for.

sherrill said:
I purchased the V combo a few weeks ago, I have not had a Boogie since a MKI in 1980. So far I have obtained a good clean tone on chnl 1 that is better than my 65 Twin Reverb reissue and not quite as good as my original BF Super Reverb, but I'm happy with the clean. I have also found a couple of heavy to extreme distortion settings on chnl 3 that I am happy with. My problem is I am having difficulty dialing in "southern rock" type sounds like ZZ or Skynard. I usually use my 78 Marshall 2203 I bought new (revealed my age) for those sounds and boost its front end at smaller venues.

I hate to sound lazy but I have not been able to find the sound yet searching the "Tones thread" or turning knobs so I would like to ask you for a little help here for a V newbie. Once I nail the southern rock sound I'll be ready to use it at gigs.

FYI, I use a Gibson 63 dot reissue and a '98 Tele with Fralins for my cleans and a 73 LP Custom I bought new (just revealed my age again) for my heavier sounds. I don't want to use any OD/distortion pedals on the V and so far I don't think I will need to. Of course I have used the Marshall's cab to get closer but I don't want to lug that around.

By the way this is a great forum, in reading posts I have found everybody seems friendly, responsive, and helpful (not to mention good taste in amplification). My best to you all and I hope with some experience I can contribute in the future.

Quick question for you...

I am extremely interested to know how you came up with a better clean tone than your 65 Twin Reissue. Settings?

Of course you know Hendog that "better" is very subjective. I like it better based on the tone I get from my fingers, style, the fact I use a thumb pick, the guitar etc. Here are my settings:

Fat
90W
Bold
Gain and Master 11:00
Presence 10:30
Treble 12:00 (varies for guitar and room)
Mid 10:00
Bass 11:30

GEQ is a very slight "W" format
80hz mid-way between middle and top line (some rooms full up)
240hz middle line
750hz just above middle line
2200hz middle line
6600hz mid-way between middle and top line

Output varies, usually around 11:00
Full power
FX loop is on (I use a small amount of delay)
Reverb 10:00 (To me Fender still has a slight lead over Mesa's reverb)

THANKS TO EVERYBODY FOR YOUR INPUT it is going to take me awhile to try your suggestions. Its always hard for me to find enough amplifier time and the V does take some tweaking. If anybody else has other ideas they are very much appreciated!

Edge is the sound you want. The voicing and circuitry is very similar to a 1959 or a 2203, so just dial it as you did your old JCM.

... and for $60 and 10 minutes of time you can put in some EL34's. They make that Edge mode very british. Puts a bit of smooth on everything. I did not like the edge mode with the stock 6L6 globes. JJ EL34's were cheap and turned out to be worth it. All subjective, but an easy way to alter the amp voice to your style.

Back