Did I buy the right amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jared

Reaction score
Hi everyone, don't post here much as you can probably tell but I keep up on the site once in awhile for the insight.

Anyway, over the summer, I had my share of horror stories starting with a Fender Supersonic that crapped out after a few months, replacing it with a used Rectoverb combo which crapped out in a week, replacing it with a Tremoverb combo that crapped out in two weeks, repaired by a "pro" only to crap out a week later again. Most of these dealings were done with very accomodating Guitar Centers, who did go above and beyond for me (free repair, return past the 30 days, etc). I ended up replacing that dead tremo with a new out-of-the-box Express 5:50 2x12.

In comes my question, did I buy the right amp? I'm not too fond of the sounds I get in 5W mode, they seem a little crunchy on the clean channel, while in 50W mode they shimmer. That could be me having the gain too high which I suspect is the culprit. I haven't been able to get that great of a sound out of the dirty channel. Maybe I'm trying to push it too hard to get that sorta chunky "chuga-chuga" sound when I want it. I have a TS9DX in line and use it on the clean for a nice sweet overdrive boost that I don't want to part with. I just have a feeling that I'll get tired of not being into Channel 2, and wondering if a different amp would suit me better.

For solo sounds and heavy rhythm, I like a nice open sound. Even with the mids cranked on a high gain setting on the dirty channel on the E5:50, I'm still fighting for more mids (so I run a Boss GE-7 in there and crank the mids, using it as I see fit). Maybe it's the fact that I'm using a strat and something in like a humbucker would open my sound? For what it's worth, I've done the "Doug's Tubes" retube... winged C's and the full compliment of varied 12AX7's to improve the sound.

It just seems like I have to do a lot to my sound to achieve what I want, when I'd really rather like that full fat saturated tube overdrive/distortion sound.

Would I be satisfied with a Stiletto combo? Lonestar? Back to a rectoverb? I'm shying away from Mark IV due to price and complexity. I'm thinking of an amp that isn't as bulky as the tremo combo (but would consider a head/cab situation). Oh, I should mention that I do mainly covers in one particular band, on the rock/funk/soul edge of things, and in another band, purely original with some nice heavy riffs over a rock/ska sound. I want to have that full fat drive available to me, but also have an amp that can shine in the clean and I can push with the TS9.

Wondering what might better suit me.

Any thoughts that anyone can throw out there as far as what I should check out is much appreciated. Thanks folks.

It also sort of depends on which context you prioritize. R&B vs. heavy rock are two pretty different styles. (I can relate, I've done all of that too)

The Lone Star is pretty hard to beat for soul, funk, etc. But I read all sorts of complaints about how little gain it gets. Mind you, it gives me plenty, but I don't need more high-gain than I can get out of a pedal. Even without a pedal, it gives me ample crunge, at least with humbuckers.

Hard rock purists will probably tell you to go for something that gives up the gain more readily: DR, Stiletto, F-series, etc.

That said, my philosophy is that it's easier to dirty up a good clean tone than it is to clean up a good dirty tone. The LS's cleans are to die for, which is why I went with it. Both channels are really usable and sweet-sounding. You can use 6L6s or EL34s, and the reverb is unbeatable.

Just get the Mark IV....or at least try one. It sings with my newer Strat and absolutely growls with my vintage SG. The graphic EQ can boost or scoop the mids, and is probably the most versatile Boogie out. It accepts pedals well too...but most Boogies do.

Concerning the "complexity", it might take you a little more time to dial in your sound, but it's well worth it! And in the long run, it's probably cheaper than swapping all these different amps.

Again, try one if you can.

ps: I wasn't crazy about the Express series either, and I sampled the 50 and 25 in both 1x12 and 2x12 in different stores. Upon hearing the Mark IV, I instantly knew...

I really like the express, maybe i'm just weird?? I knew that already!

The F series would probably satisfy what you're after. It goes more hard rock then the express but also has a nice mellower gain voice to it as well

My 5:50 2x12 replaced my Twin. I play mostly clean and at home so it fits my needs very well. I would not pick the 5:50 as a high gain amp, although I much prefer it to a Super-Sonic.

In your case though, I would recommend the LSC because it will give much more flexability and power than your 5:50. You can run the 6L6 or the EL34.

Thanks for feedback (no pun intended!)

Interestingly enough, I pulled back some of the mids at rehearsal/recording last night and it kinda evened out my sound to more of what I was looking for. I still have the EQ pedal for the lead/boost, but the heavy rhythm was soundin pretty good!

Nevertheless, I still want to explore my options. LSC and perhaps Stiletto line. I know one of my local shops should have an LS, Roadster (probably out of my league), F50, used tremo head, some dual recs, and maybe a Stiletto.

I'll probably be fine with what I have, just need to tweak, but it can't hurt to really test the other stuff well and see if there's something better.

LSC is a no non-sense giggin' mans amp. easy to setup. 2 great channels. All the headroom you need. world class reverb. certainly all but DR levels of gain. EL34, 6L6, 6V6. Sounds tweedy OR metal OR texas OR ........

Just a couple things to keep in mind. The 5:50 (and many Boogies) is very bass heavy, especially with humbuckers. The bass is affected by the bass knob and the contour, so be careful with them. In the 50 watt mode I use the bass knob at about 9. You can't leave everything at 12 with a Boogie ... it takes some experimenting.

It's great that you can use the gain and burn at 5 watts, but the amp is definately tighter in the 50 watt mode.

Don't give up on it too quickly, take some time to learn it's capabilities. Good luck ...

Back