Diagnose my dual recto problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRocksUSA

Reaction score
I have a newfound background hum/noise coming from my amp.

It's not the typical tube amp hum, it kinda sounds like somekind of interference, it somewhat resembles wind rustling in the background. THe sound does not go away when I turn the volume on my guitar all the way down, but disappears as soon as I but the amp back on standby.

is this a symptom of my tubes running out of life, or something else?

Sounds like a preamp tube is going microphonic. take a "sharpie" or someting NON-Conductive and tap the tubes . You'll know which one is the culprit, Your tapping will be amplified. Start there, let us know if that fixed it.

Guitarzan said:
Sounds like a preamp tube is going microphonic. take a "sharpie" or someting NON-Conductive and tap the tubes . You'll know which one is the culprit, Your tapping will be amplified. Start there, let us know if that fixed it.

if I take a sharpie and tap a non-problematic tube I won't hear anything through the cab then?

How is the power and grounding where you are at? When I lived in an older home I would get some odd sounds on occasion.

ChrisRocksUSA said:
Guitarzan said:

if I take a sharpie and tap a non-problematic tube I won't hear anything through the cab then?

You'll hear a little bit but the problem tube will be very apparent.

Latest posts

Back