DeSoldering IC3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandarine

Reaction score
OK. I am convinced the swap of the TI chip for a Burr Brown is a worthwhile endeavor. For someone who has done this, can you remove the current IC by desoldering from the bottom of the circuit board? There are traces on both sides, but the top component side of the circuit board is very busy with wires and components and I do not want to melt any wires. Comments on desoldering techniques?

What I did was cut the Opamp out with a pair of pliers (be careful not to cut the traces on the board) and then pull the legs out through the top while heating the bottom. After I removed the legs I used desoldering braid to removed the remaining solder from the holes in the PCB. After that I simply inserted the socket and soldered it in. Very simple but if you don't have all the tools necessary I suggest buying a 20-30 watt soldering iron, pliers small enough to cut the legs off of the opamp, desoldering braid, and an 8 pin DIP socket.

If you want step by step instructions go to the yahoo group: mod your VS

That yahoo group is for modding roland VS recorders for new opamps but the steps and the same and it's good for reference.

Greg

Thank you Disassembled. I was going to try a solder sucker from the bottom, but in order to get solder off the top traces, I will need to get it pretty hot and the IC may suffer. When you soldered the IC socket in, was it a solder from the bottom side only, or did you need to soler the top traces as well?

disassembled said:
What I did was cut the Opamp out with a pair of pliers (be careful not to cut the traces on the board) and then pull the legs out through the top while heating the bottom. After I removed the legs I used desoldering braid to removed the remaining solder from the holes in the PCB. After that I simply inserted the socket and soldered it in. Very simple but if you don't have all the tools necessary I suggest buying a 20-30 watt soldering iron, pliers small enough to cut the legs off of the opamp, desoldering braid, and an 8 pin DIP socket.

If you want step by step instructions go to the yahoo group: mod your VS

That yahoo group is for modding roland VS recorders for new opamps but the steps and the same and it's good for reference.

Greg

definitely the easiest way and you don't need to worry about over heating the pcb and losing traces.

Mandarine said:
Thank you Disassembled. I was going to try a solder sucker from the bottom, but in order to get solder off the top traces, I will need to get it pretty hot and the IC may suffer. When you soldered the IC socket in, was it a solder from the bottom side only, or did you need to soler the top traces as well?

Careful you heat up that board to much you will start lift the copper off the board. As disassembled said use a braid, much more effective with smaller things.

Mandarine said:

When soldering in the socket you only have to solder from the bottom but make sure you are heating the legs of the socket and the PCB so the solder makes good contact with them. The solder will flow through the PCB to the top layer if there is sufficient heat applied.

Greg

get some solderwick, it's a copper braid, that you touch to the joint and then touch with the soldering iron, and it sucks the solder right into the wick. You pull the wick as it fills up across the joint and it will take it all off. Trick is dont stay on there that long as you will heat up the board and risk pulling up a trace.

dave

Back