Dependable cheap (somewhat) practice amp recommendations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old BF Shred

Reaction score
Hey folks I am asking for input on this...

I want a decent, inexpensive practice amp that:

1-can keep up with moderately loud drums without frying.
2-lightweight (under 30lb).
3-has 10 or 12" speaker.
4-won't self destruct immediately after warranty is up. :roll:
5-cost no more than $250; $300, tops.

Tube or solid state (SS) is not critical as long as it sounds decent, but SS would need to be at least 30 watts or more, I'd imagine.

Looking for reliable....I know there are a lot of choices, but am hoping to hear about your experiences, good or bad.
I have considered: Line 6 spiders, Fender Super Champ, Peavey Vyper, etc. :mrgreen:

All would likely work (for a while), but what would hold up? :wink:

Thanks in advance :D

I've owned both the Peavey Classic 30 and the Classic 50 and neither were what I'd call dependable, in fact they were quite the opposite. In your price range I would give one of Rolands Cube models a try.

An older 1980s Peavey, Bandit (65W 1x12") or Backstage (35W 1x10") especially - the early models with the colored knob caps. These amps are cheap as dirt, totally reliable beyond any other amp I can think of, not heavy, and actually sound pretty decent as long as you keep away from the onboard 'Supersat' distortion :). Just use it clean with a pedal and there you are. I have a Backstage Plus which I use for a grab and go amp. In 25 years of repairing amps professionally I've seen no more than half a dozen of this series for repair *in total*, and even then most of them have been for blown speakers. (Excluding the usual FX Return/Power Amp Input jack switch problem, which doesn't really count since you don't have to open it up or change any parts to fix it.) Even the type of vinyl covering they used is as close to indestructible as there is. If I had to pick one for keeping up with a drummer, get the Bandit. The next series (which includes the Studio Pro that Sixstringpsycho mentioned) are great too, but to me a little more harsh sounding - although maybe not with the right pedal.

Avoid all the modern digital amps - they sound like crap, don't project well in a band situation, and then break, usually just after the warranty is up. That's maybe too broad a brush but I would just steer clear of all of them rather than trying to pick one that isn't as bad as the others.

+1 on the older Peavey Bandits.

Also go play the Roland Cube X series (30-60w) - they will blow you away. I have the 30w and can play with a drummer NP.

Old BF Shred said:
Sixstringpsycho said:
i have a Peavey Studio Pro 112 that i have used for 10 years and love it

That's great if it's been reliable that whole time.....
What is the power rating on that?

Wow sorry about the delay in response man. The studio pro112 has never had an issue in 10 years. I'll have to look at the power rating but it's a solid reliable practice amp

I used a Peavey Stereo Chorus 2X12 hassle free for more years than I can count. Really easy to dial in and will even gig in a pinch.

Thanks for all the suggestions.....I still am undecided. :?:

I already have a Studio 22+....but was wanting something loud and light; a tough bill to fill. :roll:
The new(ish) Fender Super Champ seems the best deal overall.

I'll have to wait, however...this year the income tax refund was way down and property tax went way up, so my ability to help the economy to recover has been further reduced. :x

Maybe AIG, General Motors or Obama can buy one for me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like you're definately a candidate for some sort of bail-out or a special interest group. I mean everyone needs a reliable/dependable practice amp.

Isn't the 22 loud and light enough? The one I had was...

Don't get a Super Champ - or not a new one anyway, the old ones are great, but still not as loud or full-sounding as the 22. The new ones are artificial-sounding and unreliable, at least from the dead ones I've seen so far... they weren't difficult to fix, but why bother when you already have a much better amp?

Louder and lighter than the 22 is going to mean pure solid state, for sure - or at minimum a hybrid with a token tube in the preamp. The Peavey Bandit is still hard to beat.

Definitely check out the Cube amps before you buy anything. I got a good deal from a friend of mine when he sold his to get a Vox practice amp. He had the Vox for a couple weeks then sold it to get another Cube. They also have some good sounding built in effects if you're into that kinda thing. Has a rectifier setting that I love.

The Vox ac15? (is that the little solid state one?)

Anyway, I thought it sounded pretty good on it's own, but I honestly couldn't believe how well it pushed a 4x12. It was actually a little mind boggling.
Super light, too.

Just my two cents.

As money has gotten tighter since the last wave of "bailouts", (none that helped me in any way.... :lol: :shock: ) I am just going to use my trusty Studio 22+ and haul it around with a folding hand truck (Sears, $29)!! :wink:

It's not that heavy, but that car wreck in '05 means even that is a chore, but it is a great little amp and will do the job!

But unless things turn around (yea, right...) , or I hit the lotto, it's "no el spendo dinero" any time soon. :x

Take care! :D

Latest posts

Back