deleted

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The speaker may be a Rola-Jensen from the seventies. They were tough speakers. Not stock in a Mark II. If you like the tone it's all that matters.
If you don't like the tone you have just begun your next Quest for tone :)
I like the Legend 121 over the EV or Black Shadow, but that's my ears, you gotta love it with your ears....

Depending on where any amp has been the transformer will get rusty on the outside. Like near the ocean is about the worst. In a desert is about the best...It's what's on the inside that counts....

I believe that your speaker is an old Eminence. I have seen that speaker in some older Mk II's. I was looking at a MK IIB a year or so ago from the original owner who claimed it was all stock with that same speaker. This amp was mint with anvil case, hardwood, EQ Reverb, 60w. Maybe Mesa was using this speaker as an option until the MS-12 was the stock speaker or maybe it was a popular replacement. Call Mesa, Mike B will know. If you like it, leave it alone. Speaker choice can drive you crazy. It is fun though!

The transformer is another story. Dutchman is right. The rust comes from the envirinment it spent it's life in. The rust can be a problem if it gets into the laminate's. It can short out the windings. Ask boogiebabies about a preventative measure. He knows.

Have fun!!

BPski said:
The transformer is another story. Dutchman is right. The rust comes from the envirinment it spent it's life in. The rust can be a problem if it gets into the laminate's. It can short out the windings. Ask boogiebabies about a preventative measure. He knows.

Interesting....I have no idea how transformers work, or where my IIB has been before I got it, but look here. (Dial up users, don't click that, it's a huge photo!)

Now that transformer is very rusted, but since I got it, it's been the most reliable amp I've ever owned. You reckon I'll run into problems in the future?

Oh, and sorry for hijacking this topic, I'm just curious about transformers.

One of my IIB's has a rusty PT and it works 100% every time. It would be impossible to predict the reliability of your PT. I'd say do a search for this topic and you may get the post by boogiebabies about the preventative maintainence for this. I think it was a process of cleaning with denatured alcohal or something. Check it out.

ok thanks

I reckon this amp will work just fine for quite a while, I've never had a problem at all.

souelle, is that your amp?...If it is, I'd replace the 5881's right away. I've read that these amps have 480 plate volts or something like that.

I don't think 5881's can handle that, can they? :?

I dont know if someone knows of some chemical to use,but dont try to get the rust off with abrasives like emory cloth or steel wool or sand paper,it will cause the laminates to short together.I think it is best to leave it alone and hope it doesnt get worse.I have an Ampeg Gemini II that has rust like that on the PT since I got it used in 1971 and it is still working fine.

I called Mesa & talked to MB right after I got my beat-up MKIIB. I asked him about the rust on the tranny. He said that as long as it was working, not to worry about it, & trying to fix it might cause problems. I've had it for 3 years & had no issues.

Dirt

igfraso
Bottle Rocket

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:59 pm Post subject: Speaker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I recall correctly, 67 is the code for Eminence.

Good eye!!!!

I think you nailed it

Here is a list of some of the old speaker manufacturers and their EIA codes:

Credence 117
Pyle 1098
Rola 285
Eminence 67
CTS 137
EV 649
Oxford 465
Altec/Lansing 391
Utah 328
Quam 270
Jensen 220
WeberVST 1279
Cleveland 433

It appears to be a Eminance, and from what BPski has stated it may very well be a factory loaded speaker.

Back