Delay Pedal in front of MkIII or Delay in effects loop?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X-1

Reaction score
I have a MkIII in rack mount. I am clearing some things out of my rack (lighten the load) and decided to try out a delay pedal. I have not been happy with the rack mount digital delay that I had been using. I tried a Rocktron Short Timer pedal. It sounded good between the guitar and the input of the amp, but there was a problem.

The problem that I had is that I would adjust the level of the delays to my liking while in R1. I like to have the delayed signal to be lower in volume than the main (non-delayed) signal. As soon as I kicked in the Lead channel the level of the delays increased significantly. In Lead mode, the delay signal was basically about the same level as the main (non-delayed) signal.

I knew that if I put the delay in the effects loop, then kicking in the lead channel wouldn't cause the delay's to become roughly the same level as the main signal (when the delay's were lower in volume then the main signal when in R1).

So now I had a mission. I could have put the Short Timer pedal in the effects loop, but I didn't want to run a cord from the back of the amp to the pedalboard and then to the back of the amp again. So now some criteria for my delay unit...

1) It needs to live in the rack with the MkIII.
2) It needs to sound good with guitar. No more of those crap sounding rackmount digital delay's. Analog is preferred, but not mandatory (that Short Timer pedal is digital and it sounds pretty darned good.)
3) Since I am trying to reduce the weight in my amp rack, it would be nice if the delay unit was fairly light.
4) I want to be able to shut off the delay sometimes with my foot, so I need to have something that will live in the rack that I can shut off with a remote switch at the pedalboard.
5) I am a weekend warrior with a family. The delay can't be a wallet buster.

So now I was off on my search. I looked at a number of items including some multi-effect units. I didn't need a multi-effect unit, but I was searching for anything that fit the bill. One thing I was looking at was the Line 6 delay modeler rack mount unit. It is no longer made and is fetching a pretty penny on ebay, so it was out of my financial reach.

I finally settled on a Scholz Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay unit.

Though I didn't really want to buy a 20 year old item, it fit the bill.
Rackmount, Analog, relatively light, remote switchable (and can also be remotely switched to analog chorus which is a nice plus) and I got one that was just like new (even with a just like new manual) on ebay for less than $100 including shipping. I am very happy with it. I connect from the MkIII preamp out to the Rockman then to a Peavey Valverb (You stuffy types can poopoo Peavey all you want, but I think the Valverb's reverb sound is far superior to the stock MkIII reverb) and in to the power amp input.

So... what do you folks use for delay with your Mark series amps?

rockman-chorus-delay-Ax.jpg

The one that I just got is cleaner looking than this one.

I, for tone alone, chose an EHX Deluxe Memory Man... The large pedal is a pain, and I don't use the chorus/vibrato at all, but the delay was plenty long enough for me, and the tone is fantastic...I have mine on all the time, and is last in my E-loop. I go from a reverb type tone, to a slapback mostly...It does the trick for me... I had a DD6, but the tone was just not for me, and all the extra's were just never used....
I may actually get a Holy Grail ( or holier) to cover my reverb needs, so I can use the reverb AND delay at the same time... I agree, the reverb on the Mark III is weak at best....

In the switchable loop of my Mark IV---

Chandler Stereo Digital Echo into the Valverb

Offers a lot of simple options and sounds great!

So who out there has experienced what I did?

Connnecting a delay pedal between guitar and amp input and then having the Mesa Lead channel kicking up the delayed signal volume (compared to when the amp is not using a lead channel.)

Do you all run delay units in the effects loop?

Anytime you distort the delayed signal, you will have a much more pronounced effect....and it will drop off dramatically if you switch to clean...if you run the delay in the loop, this puts it after the amp's preamp distortion....thus delaying the distorted signal....not the other way around. This is a much more even, across the board, controllable sound.

Delay should always go after distortion/o.d./or fuzz....unless you want that heavy handed sound.

In my opinion, the only effect that should normally go after a delay is a reverb.

RB

Red Barchetta said:
Anytime you distort the delayed signal, you will have a much more pronounced effect....and it will drop off dramatically if you switch to clean...if you run the delay in the loop, this puts it after the amp's preamp distortion....thus delaying the distorted signal....not the other way around. This is a much more even, across the board, controllable sound.

Delay should always go after distortion/o.d./or fuzz....unless you want that heavy handed sound.

In my opinion, the only effect that should normally go after a delay is a reverb.

RB

+100

Latest posts

Back