Delay Effects Loop Problem on Rectifier Solo 50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendermesa

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just joined the forums. Ive been searching for quite some time on the net on problem i have with my Mesa Boogie Solo 50(Year 2000 Model).

Basically when i have my delay pedal going through the effects loop on any channel it seems to develop a lower end burble sound sometimes after 5 seconds when amp is warm or about 30 seconds when amp is cold. When this burbling sound occurs it causes my delay to go out of whack and not repeat/delay my guitar signal. It then phases out my wet signal and continues to fizzle with a burbling sound( frequency below guitar range. it doesnt stop till i turn off the delay.

I have tried:
1. Replacing the V4 tube - nothing changed.
2. Checked all cables- which was ok
3. changed power supply on Boss DD20 - Was OK
4. Tried another Boss Delay pedal - Same problem occured.
5. I have isolated my rig to just a guitar and a delay pedal in effects loop and it still occurs.
6. Tried putting my delay without the effects loop and it was OK no problem at all.
7. tried different levels of effects loop mix( 30 50 70 100 %) and it doesnt help its still there but at a lower volume

Im thinking its something to do with the loop itself and not the delay pedal as i have tried various pedals with the same problem. Could this be a leak of some sort in the effects loop. I have never had this problem before. I have changed the stock valves to JJ's 12ax7's and Cwinged EL84's

Thanks in advance for all your comments.
I love the amp! but not the burbling sound.

Regards,
Jono

oh yeah, and the burbling sounds like a harley davidson and horse galloping at the same time.

Yeah, its just clipping. That's the problem with the parallel effects loop. You have to set the level on your delay pedal to about 50% or so. If I have the level on any of my pedals too high it clips and makes that harley noise.

Had this problem to but then i realized what kill dry meant and that button has stayed on ever since. Ive been looking into a series fx loop conversion as i have to run my wah, tuner and phaser in front of the amp since the parallel messes around with those fx. not trying to hijack your thread i have been searching forums for directions on this mod but most of them are for DRs or TRs. has anyone converted their solo 50 to series and had good results?

thanks guys,

I have tried changing my DD20 to the -20db setting and but it still makes the burbling sound.
If i set the output to +4db then the burbling sound twice as worse.

What confuses me is that ive never had this problem before. The only thing that has changed is that im running
JJ's Ec83s(which is 12ax7 i believe) valves and CWinged El34s. The problem didnt come about until a couple of months after this change.

I cant believe that Mesa make such great amps with such a shithouse effects loop??

I had a G major 2 and just couldnt get it to sound right, it totally stuffed up my distortion tone. I have a delay, reverb, chorus/flanger in the loop now and when I turn it on the tone goes muddy like???

I don't know it just seems weird that they would have such a bad effects loop in such agreat amp, I have never heard anything positive about paralell loops.

Still brilliant amps though
fendermesa said:
TREC said:
I cant believe that Mesa make such great amps with such a sh!t effects loop??

You had problems as well?

for me its worked well for about 6 years with no hint of problems at all.
I hope someone has a bit of info on what to do. :?

May have to trade it in for a electradyne or something

I used to run a G-Major into my old Rectos parallel FX Loop and have a few pedals up front and never had any problems with it.

I just figured out what the problem was.

If you set a DD-20 Effect level passed 3 o clock it seems to give you a rumbling sound and wash out the delay signal as described on the first post.

I use a lot of dotted Quavers with the DD20 on full effect. Anyways... its wierd!

dd20.jpg

fendermesa said:
I just figured out what the problem was.

If you set a DD-20 Effect level passed 3 o clock it seems to give you a rumbling sound and wash out the delay signal as described on the first post.

I use a lot of dotted Quavers with the DD20 on full effect. Anyways... its wierd!

dd20.jpg

that is weird . I use a dd20 in the loop of my DR and I have 1 preset where the effetct level is almost maxed and i dont have any problem with it at all

My MXR Stereo Chorus pedal give me problems in the loop when I activate the bass frequency bypass button, even if the level is all the way down. I think I have more problems with my analog effects clipping rather than the digital ones.

[/quote]that is weird . I use a dd20 in the loop of my DR and I have 1 preset where the effetct level is almost maxed and i dont have any problem with it at all[/quote]

So i guess it sounds like some threshold(component/valve) of some sort has changed or some part is faulty?

I thought i used to run full effect on the delay pedal for a Edge delay sound but not i guess i cant.

Latest posts

Back