Delay (Boss DD-6 vs Ibanez AD9)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xombie2000

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between these 2 pedals anybody have any experiances to relate or suggestions?

Well one is digital and the other is analog for starters so it depends what you like. I like the AD-9 so much in fact I went a notch up and got the Maxon AD-9. It cost alot though.

If i was on a budget I would get this amazing pedal

http://www.analogman.com/delay.htm

Or,

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=39

I'm also a happy Maxon owner. The two pedals you're talking about are very different. Basically, with the Ibanez you are paying for a really nice analog sound with less capability and with the Boss you have a lot more versatility with R2D2 sound.

Really, you've gotta test drive them and see if the cool stuff the Boss pedal does outweighs the sound of the Ibanez.

Here's a super-in-depth review of the experience David had :wink:

http://www.analogman.com/IbanezMaxonAD91.htm

Basically I've only ever played with digital delay, I was just wondering how much the extra's come in useful on the Boss pedal.

A lot of people really like tap tempo.

Stereo/panning on a delay is nice for recording but doesn't make that much difference in most live rigs.

the sampling/looping ability you get is, well, it's a thing, it's cool right up until the point you overuse it. best use I have ever heard for it is to cover tuning breaks :)

I haven't used a DD6 so I can't really say what the tone quality is like.

I use lots of different delay pedals analog is always better in my opinion.

I have a vintage Ibanez AD-80 and a dd-3 and the Ibanez wins that one, but my favorite delay is Electro-Harmonix's Memory Man

i was thinking of getting the DD-3 mod from keeley, which he says adds the "analog" feel to it.

anybody recommend this?

I like the Deluxe memory man as well, and I owned a memory lain for a while which is my all time favorite. I go with the maxon ad-9 for size, its compact and amazing.

i just got my DD3 mod from keeley and i'm so happy with it! just flick the custom switch he put in to the right to give you that "analog" feel to it. i couldn't be happier.

i'm sure the more expensive one sounds better but for now, this will do :)

Being in the boutique pedal biz, I have to come out and recommend the Maxon and Ibanez analog models. To put it simply, they are the same pedal. Even though they are "massed produced", they sound great. The digital units sound too sterile to most folks (myself included). The analog units sound "a little rough around the edges" and warmer...very natural when used with a tube amp.

HipKitty said:
Being in the boutique pedal biz...
What's your opinion of the T-Rex Replica? It's digital, but I understand you'd never know it by listening to one.

Maxon is about to release a AD-9 Pro which has a tap-tempo feature. Just an FYI.

waassaabee, the T-Rex stuff is pretty good stuff. Each of the T-Rex stuff that I've come in contact has sounded pretty good.

I'm pretty old school on the design front...I'm not much of a fan of mass produced (in China, Korea, Japan, etc) circuit boards. It usually means cheap components and lack of durability. Some of the manufacturers out there doing that type of manufacturing do have some good quality products though...Boss, Maxxon and Ibanez would fit into that group. But, there is a large faction of manufacturers that have trouble with quality control because of the bottom line...money

Also, any of the digital effects out there that are designed to sound like analog effects essentially have a tone (and sometimes drive) section that simply replicate the sound of analog effects. To me, if you want to have an analog sound, get it direct from an analog effect...why have the "extra" stuff in the design to get where you want to go? Most of the time, it's that "extra" stuff that muddies your sound. :(

Latest posts

Back