DC-5 Vs. MarkIV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisconne

Reaction score
Well, the dilema... has occured.
I have a chance of buying DC-5 head. The problem is that it is on ebay and as such, you don't have a chance to try it first. So I am wondering how close to Mark IV (or at all) is DC-5, as I already know how M4 sounds, but it's way out of my price league at this moment.
So if anyone can give info on the sound compared to M4, I'd be grateful.
TNX.

I had a DC for a long time. I believe the clean sound was designed after the MKIV, ans it sounds close. The crunch channel sounds good and has the GEQ but it's not as rich as the IV and your tonal options are not as wide. But overall I gigged with and loved this amp for 10 years so I'd say snag it if you can't afford the Mk. You will love it! It ia inherintly a dark sounding amp unlike the the 50+ before it.

Thanx...
So you could say that the sound is near the ball park of M4?...
I have an option to buy it for 850 euros.

For around 800 dollars, why not a Mark III? Marco Sfogli used one on LaBrie's Element's of Persuasion and he sounded **** good.

I dont know what a Euro is worth but they are selling on this forum in Boogie Classifieds for $500-$600 American which is fair.

F*** 850 euro is like 1,251.06 USD...
But anyway... we know there is difference in US and EU market regarding stuff from US.
But these are the prices in EU... for instance M4 combo costs between 2600 - 3600 USD in EU.... USED!!!
Ah what a hell...
I got some clips from the guy, so I'll see..
I can choose now among Hiwatt HiGain model or DC-5....

The DC 5 has two distinct sound .Maybe 3 . The clean channel compares well to the mark 4. And on the DC 5, there is a pull boost on the gain for the clean channel .It allows for good distortion nad is smooth like a Mark 4 .The big difference is that the Mark 4 lead channel offers a more saturated sound..

The DC-5 lead channel has tons of gain and saturation. But the treble is peaky where the Mark 4 is rounder in the treble response. So I'd say the DC-5 lead channel sounds like a cross between the mark 4 and Recto.

One other point is that the DC-5 is loud amp and it sounds like **** when the master is anywhere below 2 . IT sounds very good when turned up and there is a simple modification that calls for removing the resistor that is in line with the master volume control. This mod makes the taper of the master volume much better and allows for lower volume playing

:lol: Get the DC. You won't be sad.

I had a head to head shoot out between my DC-10 & Mark IV A.

I still have the DC. The cleans are better and so is the Reverb.

The lead tones are not quite the same, but mine sounds incredible and that is all I wanted.

I never used R2 unless we were playing a Stones tune. So....The Mark IV went.

If you get the DC-5 and are not happy, PM me. I will send you a list of mods that will make your amp the talk of the town.

Cool, TNX.
I have an option to buy DC-10 2x12 combo... So what kind of mods are we talking about here?
Are DC's similar to Nomads, or is this something different, drivewise... 'Cos I had Nomad 55 2x12 and the drive channel was not that good, maybe for blues or classic rock... but I need an amp, that can provide me with classic and aggressive sound... I'm not talking about Recto sound, more like M4 sound.
Is it possible to get it with mods also?
Oooh, sorry sooo much questions.
Thanx guys!

Bisconne,

I had a Nomad 100 combo before my DC-10. Though the Nomad has got great clean headroom and is fairly flexable I found it overall lifeless compared the the DC amps. The DC's to me are more responsive, can get much more aggessive if you want and overall sounds better. I know there are Nomad fans here as well but I've never see anyone choose the Nomad over the DC when they've had a chance to compare both. If there is anyone here who prefers the Nomad over the DC I'd like to hear from them to find out how they use their amp.

Yes, I also had the same feeling. Can you maybe send me some soundclips of your DC-10?

Yes, I also had the same feeling. Can you maybe send me some soundclips of your DC-10?

I may be able to put something together. What are you interested in hearing? Clean, clean with hair, crunch, super saturation, all the above?

If it is possible all of them... I am mostly interested in High Gain drive... palm muting and powerchords.
Thanx Mj Slaughter!

Back