DC-5 vs. LSC vs. Tremo vs. F-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvschulz

Reaction score
Okay, I have probably abuse this topic a little before, but now I have some scratch gathered and want to make a move before I blow it on some other crap.

I am playing my .50 cal + and love it. I can't afford to have 2 amps - and I want to have 2 channels. I am currently playing the amp clean - it sings. I then have 3 different pedals for various boost/crunch/overdrive/distortion changes - I can't level the gain channel to the clean channel - it jumps too much in volume.

so ... i want a 2 channel amp with separate controls. From what I have read through ... my loose approximation is:

F-50 - can get high gain which I dont need and contour is not good as the EQ

DC-5 - great amp - can gain - has EQ ... is old.

Tremo - great clean, good gain - expensive.

LSC - great clean, more options tonally, best reverb, widest tone range.

So, I THINK my best bets are either a DC-5 or LSC ... and since the LSC is newer - I think my opportunity be in a newer amp longer is a better bet. So - I think I don't want a F-50 - but if anyone can tell me about the differences between Tremo and LSC - I want to hear it. Thanks.

I'm selling my DC5 :D
Really I am but I have NOTHINg bad to say about the DC5. I've owned a MkII B (should have never have sold that one) A Mk III simul class. Mushy low end..nice tone though. A 50/50 power amp with studio pre amp. Not bad. But my DC5 has been my gigging amp for 14 years. It's versatile with great tone. I'm only selling it to pay for my Fuchs.

I love my DC5 but the LSC is a very fine amp as well. Consider though, if it's important to you, that the DC5 is much lighter in the combo and is easy to get great tones out of the box. Yea the DC5 is a older but I've found that most Boogie owners really take pretty good care of their gear so I wouldn't hold age against the amp. Another big plus is that you can usually pick them up fairly cheap.

Mine is a 1x12 combo and I bought that configuration for ease of moving around but if I had it to do all over again I'd get the head and a cabinet. You might consider buying the DC5, unless your lucky enough to find one you can demo, and sell it if you don't like it. The clean channel is very musical and responsive to guitar volume and pick attack and works well with quality overdrive pedals.

Don't buy into that 'Old amp=no good,' crap.

I have a DC-3 & a DC-10. The 10 is serial #99.

Yeah, it's older than my kids, but it was made with pride and not mass produced. I would put my DC's up against a Lonestar anyday. I bet the DC's will out live them.

I have a 66 Pro Reverb that still sounds incredible.

The bottom line is, if you get one that has been taken care of, it will last forever. If it breaks, it is easy to fix an old Boogie.

They are much less money than the LSC as well.

I tried an LSC, the cleans are amazing, but there is a delay in the Reverb when switching channels that I just could not live with. Plus, the Lead channel sounded just like a Fender with a TS-9, which is a tone that I just don't like for myself. Many others can make that tone work very well for them, but not me.

I really like the tones that a DC can produce. Put an NOS 12AX7 in V4 and put it next to your Vintage Fender. The tone is so amazingly close that it is sick.

Plus, you can get a guitar and a DC for the price of a used Lonestar. :D

The Tremoverb is a great amp as well. I often find myself missing mine, but then, I crank my DC-10 and realize that the Cleans are much better, the Reverb is much better and the Lead tone does not sound like Nickelback.

Just my 2 pesos, but I would get the DC. :lol: Of course, since I have 2, I find myself gassing for a Tremoverb or Roadster again.

Monsta-Tone said:
The Tremoverb is a great amp as well. I often find myself missing mine, but then, I crank my DC-10 and realize that the Cleans are much better, the Reverb is much better and the Lead tone does not sound like Nickelback.

Just my 2 pesos, but I would get the DC. :lol: Of course, since I have 2, I find myself gassing for a Tremoverb or Roadster again.

HAHAHA... Same thing happened to me. LOVE my DC and Mark IV - sold my TOV.

Missed the TOV. --> Bought another TOV...

i've decided to buy a LSC combo 2x12. I'm not a little guy and in good shape so 70# is not a big deal. I actually liked the reviews of the DC-5 fine, but have not been able to find one that I trusted. Tremo was a third on my list.

My .50 cal + is running fine so I am definitely aware of the build quality and long performance - I am having a quandary about what to put my kid in as I am starting to think that I won;t give him the other amp EITHER ... boy is my wife gonna be happy about this ...

Roger

Latest posts

Back