DC-5 vs .50 Caliber +

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfrazee

Reaction score
Hey guys. Im in the hunt for a new amp and i'm really interested in the DC-5 and the .50 Caliber +. I'm going for a Mark IV sound. Really dark and tight and i've heard both sound like that but which one is better suited for that? I play hard rock and some metal. Some bands are Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin stuff like that.

I would go for a DC-5. It's tighter and punchier than the Caliber.
It also seemed a little louder.

Nomad100 said:
I would go for a DC-5. It's tighter and punchier than the Caliber.
It also seemed a little louder.

+1

The DC-5 is smoother to me. You can't go wrong with either, but if you wan't that dark, smooth tone go with the DC. The .50 Caliber + is more raw to me.

Thanks for the replies guys! Does anyone have any clips of the DC-5 doing some hard rock type stuff? Preferably drop tuned? I haven't really found any good clips of it doing any hard rock

I have a DC-5 for sale in the classified section of the forum if you are interested. Awesome amp, only selling because I bought a Roadster and I don't need both.

If you want dark and tight, it's DC all the way.

I would buy the amp but i'm still saving up for it ha. Should have the money here soon though. Do you have any clips of it?

Sorry, no clips. I can assure you that you won't have any problem getting the tones your looking for and a whole lot more.

Ok thank you! Also I have another question. My cab has a 4 ohm mono input and a 16 ohm mono input and you can also put it in stereo and that is two 8 ohm inputs. Will this cab work for the DC-5? I don't know what ohm's it is

I believe the best way to run that cab would be to use the two 8 ohm inputs on the cab. You would plug these into the two 4 ohm jacks on the DC-5. I believe this is the same for most Mesa amps, plugging in two 8 ohm cabs in parallel makes 4 ohms so you use the 4ohm jacks on the amp. I've always run mine this way with two 1 x 12, 8 ohm cabs.

You could use the mono 16 ohm into the 8 ohm jack of the amp if you want too.

In the owners manual for the DC-5 there is a section that discusses using different speaker loads to get different sounds but I never tried it.

Ok so the best way would to go from the two 4 ohm jacks from the amp into the two 8 ohm stereo jacks into the cab. Or I could go from the 8 ohm jack from the amp to the 16 ohm jack of the cab?

Latest posts

Back