DC-5 problems... quick fix?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willie stargell

Reaction score
So, after moving around the country for years, I am back in the arms of my DC-5 1x12. There are, however, just a few things seeming a little weird to me. I'm sure the whole thing is in need of a "professional" look-over, but I'm handy with a soldering gun and simple circuits.

problem #1: one tube is definitely microphonic. Is this the reason my tone sounds so muddy and nu-metal? It's like I can't play anything that doesn't make me want to cry/kill myself. even major chord arpeggios are a bummer. I'm sure a full re-tubing is in order. I don't think they've ever been changed since it's birth (mid 90s?) which i'm certain accounts for garbage tone.

problem #2: (the real problem) The footswitch is incredibly finnicky. I re-soldered a loose wire a little while ago, and it's back on the fritz. The led's dont light up but the channels won't change either. I think the EQ switches but it's hard to tell sometimes. However, I couldn't find any loose wires when i opened it up recently... faulty cable from being wrapped up so much? There has to be a schematic somewhere because this is quite a simple circuit. Maybe replace the cable and switches, and resolder all the connections? maybe the LED burned out, breaking the circuit?

problem #3: the reverb hasn't worked since i first got it over 6 years ago. I didn't care then, but now I'm a better player and want to use reverb. The connections to the reverb tank are very simple, and everything looks OK inside. What's the deal? Is there a secret trick I don't know about? Possibly something in the internal circuitry of the amp? I overheard something about a grounding issue with the reverb tank but don't remember what to do.

Any suggestions/explanations gladly accepted!
there's no reason this amp shouldn't be invoking religious experiences within earshot, and i'll do my best to make that happen

-Pops

#1 - try replacing just V1 with a known good 12AX7, then if that doesn't fix it, the others in turn. It's likely to be only one, so until you have identified it don't change them all. Then throw that one out, or label it - you can often use a microphonic tube perfectly well in the later stages (eg Phase Inverter, V6) and especially the reverb driver (V5). You could even just try swapping the tubes around (keep a note of which is which, so you don't get lost!), since it can be specific to a particular order.

#2 - are you sure it's the pedal? Ddoes the switch on the front still change the channels? If not, it's something in the switching control circuit (which could be nasty)... if it does, it's possibly the footswitch jack, check for a bad ground there. If it really does seem to be the switch, it's more likely to be a break in the cable than something inside the box.

#3 - reverb tanks can often be faulty without looking so - the most common cause is a broken wire on the little bobbin at one end. These can sometimes be fixed but it can be very tricky, and it may be easier to change the whole tank.

the microphonic tube is actually one of the big 6L6's. the one 'on the right' when viewed from behind. if i tap on it, or actually anywhere on the amp like the dials etc, you can hear it. can't be good, right?

and i'm thinking that just the footswitch jack in the amp has become bent and needs replaced, which is a relief.

thanks for the info

Back