DC-5 Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esromeron

Reaction score
First off, my name is Alex and I've been playing guitar for over 11 years now and this is my first boogie. I luckily stumbled across the DC5 at a yard sale for a ridiculously low price and couldn't resist after playing one rather recently. It only has 1 rip in the tolex, and apparently was only played a couple times. It still has the original tubes (since 96!!) so I am definitely replacing those ASAP.

Ok heres my problem. I quickly noticed that the Rhythm channel's Master control does not work. Even weirder is that it is controlled by the Lead channel's Master. So the Lead's Master controls both Lead and the Rhythm channel at the same time.

I'm baffled, so hopefully someone can explain why this is happening and a solution. Other than that the amp sounds great, and I can't wait for the new tubes to get here to get it to its full potential!

Thanks,
Alex

Can't help with the channel problem, but if the power tubes have only minimal use, you shouldn't have to replace them. They don't wear out from sitting in a closet. Pre-amp tubes last for years, if not forever.
On the other hand, it couldn't hurt to have spares.
If possible, find a Mesa dealer in your area, and have them check the amp out. Maybe the previous owner tried to fix and/or "mod" his amp.
Welcome to the Boogie club!

These are great little amps.

You might have to take it in to the shop. I have found that on the earlier DC's, there was too much current in the Switching circuit's Power Supply. I have had to replace LDR's and IC chips because of this. It should be a simple fix for a good tech.

As for the tubes, MrMarkIII is correct. If it sounds good, maybe just keep the new ones for spare. Definitely keep the old ones for spares if you do decide to change them out.

FWIW: You will most likely get a lot more responses if you post this in the Vintage Amps section.

Thanks for the input guys.

Its looking like I will have to take it somewhere to get fixed and checked over, my only problem is the closest place to do that is about a 3 hour drive. Worse comes to worse I'll probably ship it off to get fixed.

Yeah the tubes in it now are still good, but I'm one of those guys who have to try a whole lot of things just to see what I'll get! I've got 2 other amps that the tubes could be replacements for so it never hurts :) .

FWIW: You will most likely get a lot more responses if you post this in the Vintage Amps section.
Thanks for pointing that out! I didn't realize the DC was under that category.

Thanks,
Alex

Hey Alex,

If you end up shipping it out, let me know. I am a Mesa tech, and I have had 10 DC's. I know them very well.

I usually have people ship just the chassis to save money.

Just a thought.

Andy

Well my luck today was awesome. I was at my local guitar shop, and the owner's brother was there, and found out hes an amp tech! So I quickly came back with my DC-5 and he repaired it for me on the spot! Apparently the amp was in the process of being modded and never got finished. He said it was really easy to fix and it only took him about 10 mins! Too bad when i got home I noticed the Mid pot of the Rhythm channel is scratchy, but thats easy enough to do myself, just need some DeoxIT.

Anyways, thanks Monsta-Tone for the offer though! I really do appreciate it. I love these forums, you guys are so nice and extremely helpful!

P.S. The more time I spend with this amp the more I'm amazed. I simply love that Mesa tone, so much that I am already looking into getting a MarkIV within the next month or two.

Thanks,
Alex

Latest posts

Back