dc-5 or .50 cal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRS24

Reaction score
i'm stuck on deciding which amps i want. its between the dc-5 and the .50 caliber. i tune drop b so i want a really dark but tight tone and a bright clean tone. kind of like chevelle or breaking benjamin. i really like the sound of the mark iv but thats out of my price range. so which on do you guys think would fit my needs more. oh and whats the difference between the .50 cal + and just the .50 cal.

50 cal

- el84
- no lead volume control
- no GEQ (i'm not sure about that)

50 cal +

- 6l6
- lead volume control
- GEQ

i have a cal 50 +... tha main problem with that amp is that the 2 channels share the same "settings"... forme it's not a problem 'caus i found the good compromise between clean and lead

i have and love my .50 cal + (I added a gain pot for the lead channel) but, if cost was the same, I would go with the DC-5 over the .50 cal. You get a lot more with the dc5, seperate eq, is a biggie too, IMHO. I had a Dc 5 1x12 combo back in the day (sold it, shouldn't of) I p/u the 50 cal because it was a lot cheaper. Both sound great IMHO.

Get a .50 Caliber +.

It's tight as hell, the DC5 is far too Recto like, not nearly as tight as the .50 Cal+.

Pepper Keenan uses a .50 Cal+ on the first Down album, that should give you an idea of possible tones, "Bury Me In Smoke" is in drop B...The rest is mainly in C#...

ok now its just more of the clean sound. can i get a bright sort of chimmy sound? and if i set controls for the dirty channel i can switch to clean and change the controls and switch back to dirty and it the dirty channel will still sound the same right???

PRS24 said:
ok now its just more of the clean sound. can i get a bright sort of chimmy sound? and if i set controls for the dirty channel i can switch to clean and change the controls and switch back to dirty and it the dirty channel will still sound the same right???

it sounds weird !! if you change the controls for the clean, don't
expect the lead channel will sound the same if you switch back to it !

in fact you really have to try... but the cal 50 have a real good clean !...

The .50 Cal + has a killer lead also has a good clean BUT it is a one dimentional amp, you cannot get a good clean AND lead and switch between the two at the same time...suck...but the lead is killer!

Man, i've been loving my DC-3 since I got it. It's my favorite Mesa amp i've owned yet... Crazy! If the DC-5 is anything like it then I say go for it. You won't regret it.

Latest posts

Back